Mobile technology is revolutionizing how organizations engage with their end users. More than 96% of the world’s population has access to a mobile phone, meaning it is now possible to reach nearly every single person on the planet. Yet 3 billion people living in emerging markets still lack access to relevant, timely, and engaging information in their local languages, and their voices remain underheard. The organizations that serve them lack the technology and capacity to reach them, and many are unaware of the power of mobile technology to meet their organizational goals.
Viamo connects individuals and organizations using digital technology to make better decisions.
With more than 25 million people reached in 2020 alone, we are well on our way to meeting our goal of reaching 50M people annually by 2023.
Job Title: User Experience Manager
About the Role
Are you ready for an incredibly difficult design challenge that has the potential to impact 4 billion people in emerging markets? In 2020, Vaimo’s 3-2-1 Service reached almost 10 million people with over 150 million key pieces of information in 18 countries. In recent years, we have not only expanded this service to new markets but have also invested in creating and scaling best practices that improve the user experience and deepen our impact. As the User Experience Manager you will be responsible for making sure our listeners can use the 3-2-1 Service to make the same meaningful connections as people with smartphones, but without the connectivity: be a trusted source of information, study and learn, be entertained, connect with like-minded folks, buy/sell products, etc. You will improve the functionality, usability, and engagement of our Service. You will empathize with the needs of our millions of monthly users and ensure that they get great value from a high quality service; that the information they receive can be used to improve their well-being; and that Viamo can successfully measure this impact. You will work with team members in all countries to run pilots and experiments that lead to improvements that increase the number of users and interactions and improve and measure positive changes in knowledge, attitudes, and behavioral outcomes. You will work closely with the global 3-2-1 Product Leads and the local 3-2-1 Product Managers to scale best practices. You will also be a key member of the growing Product Team and work with Product Owners and Product Managers to integrate additional features and functionality into the 3-2-1 Service through the Viamo platform.
- Empathize with Viamo’s mobile users (our beneficiaries) to understand their needs to access information as well as products and services offered by our clients: buying, selling, booking appointments, redeeming vouchers, etc.
- Empathize with Viamo’s partners (our clients) to understand their priorities in engaging with the 4B people who have access to a simple (non-smart) phone. Viamo’s partners include all large organizations working in emerging markets: international development agencies, healthcare providers, financial institutions, mobile network operators, agricultural input suppliers, etc.
- Design new experiences and product offerings.
- Run pilots, tests, and experiments to improve quality and user experience. Oversee the analysis and use data to make decisions about new best practices.
- Work with the global product leads and in-country teams to scale best practices efficiently and with high quality.
- Provide support for country teams: help define quarterly initiatives, brainstorm and problem-solve when issues arise, find creative solutions.
- Update and maintain guidebook and training materials; create additional materials, tools, and processes to optimize 3-2-1 and improve team capacity.
- Produce evidence of service effectiveness (impact and revenue) to deepen relationships with key stakeholders and support sales.
- Help create product vision and evolve product offerings to better serve our clients and beneficiaries.
Key Performance Indicators
- Number of Mobile Users (Unique Listeners, Monthly Avid User). We hope to double MAU in 2021.
- Number of Meaningful Interactions (Key Messages, Key Actions). In 20201 we hope to measure and increase engagements beyond listening.
- Caller to Listener Ratio, Listener to MAU Ratio
- Consistency and completion of monthly tasks
Team and Reporting Structure
Reports to the Director of Impact and Communications.
One of Viamo’s 25 offices around the world.
- University degree, 5-10 years of experience and managed/designed a B2C product in Africa/Asia and on mobile.
- Experience with designing and running experiments, interpreting data, and creating new solutions and best practices to improve impact. Ability to provide consultation and lead collective brainstorms and problem solving discussions.
- Ability to look across markets to distill what works and synthesize ideas. Then lead others to follow your recommendations; ensuring we operationalize all the best practices to run a quality service in every market.
- Connection to our users and understanding of what basic phone owners in Africa/Asia/MENA (and eventually Latin America) want from an information service.
- Experience with marketing, product design, human centered design, and content creation, especially for mobile.
- Multi-country project management experience.
- Experience working in both a cross-functional, and multi-cultural team environment and working autonomously to deliver on results with limited day-to-day oversight.
- Experience using soft power to influence people and team decisions.
- Desire and ability to travel, especially in Asia and Africa.
- Multilingual abilities, especially French, are an asset.