At Upfield our purpose is clear: we make people healthier and happier with nutritious and delicious, natural, plant-based products that are good for you, our planet; and with packaging that’s free from plastic. We’ve got iconic brands like Rama, Country Crock, Blue Band and Flora that people all over the world know and love. We’ve been a trusted category leader since 1871 and yet we feel like we’re only just getting started.
Performance, Passion and Care define who we are as a company, how we work every day, and the responsibility we feel toward our Associates, our consumers, our business partners and our world.
We have big ambitions to grow this business and we want to attract the right people – those that love what they do, thrive on responsibility and are looking for career defining opportunities.
Job Title: R&D Manager- Upfield West Africa
Main Purpose Of The Function
The main purpose of the function is the technical delivery of innovations/renovation in West Africa Business Unit on time in full, ensuring full legal, regulatory and safety compliance. He/she provides local technical input/insights into innovation projects to R&D and key Business Unit partners. He/she also will support the Business Unit, in activation of new/rejuvenated product launches where close teamwork is required with culinary, Marketing and SC Teams.
The incumbent as a Technical Product Leader will also be leading and landing innovation/renovation/cost saving in West Africa. He/She can be appointed to lead projects across Africa business units, where deemed appropriated
As part of the RD Africa team, incumbent will be involved in projects in Africa either as a leading Manager or part of the team member. He/She will have a responsibility on landing RD initiatives, program on ground.
As a key RD Person in west Africa, incumbent will be a key person that interacts with the SC team on delivery of approved projects.
Key Accountabilities / Main Accountabilities
- Lead the implementation of new product developments in West Africa on time in full with clear project networks and ensuring full legal, regulatory and safety compliances.
- As TPL she/he is responsible for Project Leadership of projects -single point of accountability for technical delivery and responsible for communication with stakeholder(s) on all technical elements.
- Technical input and insights into innovation projects to the R&D organization, Business Unit marketing, external relations, supply chain and technical compliance networks.
- Development, training, and execution of R&D relevant product activations including training sales force with product knowledge.
- Guidance on technical supportability of advertising claims in communication with trade and consumers based on excellent technical, legal and competitor understanding.
- Deploy – support sales training and execution of projects in market.
He/she has overall responsibility for delivery of innovation/renovation/cost reduction and compliances in in West Africa Business Unit.
- Drive compliances and delivery of projects in UPMS and gate documents including compliance checks and local requirements.
- Work closely with Supply Management and Supply Chain on local supply chain support activities e.g. value improvement, third party manufacturing support, alternative sourcing.
- As an RD Manager, incumbent will also be leading and landing RD driven agenda on ground.
- Head of R&D Africa
- Head of Marketing West Africa
- Head of Regulatory and Nutrition Africa
- BU General Manager
- R&D Resources local Deploy, Nutrition & Regulatory Affairs.
- SC Regional and local Deploy countries
- Minimum university degree in food science or relevant science.
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in regulatory, foods product development, project leadership, preferably in the context of complex, Regional and Global projects.
- Knowledge in plant-based food (Oils & Fats, Spreads, Margarine, cheese, creams & dressings) technology.
- A team player with a can-do mentality.
- Self-starter, but can also work in a global framework
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt within a fast-changing environment.
- Strong communicator
- Fluent in English, spoken and written.
You’ll have to enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and it will take hard work and determination; we will give you the ownership you need to make an impact. You’ll have to deliver on the commitments you make. And we’ll give you the freedom and flexibility to do your job and build your own career.