Political leaders in African countries are increasingly asking TBI to support them to attract transformational investment into their countries. While there are pools of capital that could potentially be invested in African economies, much of such investment remains underutilized. A major challenge is the lack of bankable projects emerging from African countries.
For a large number of bankable projects in transformational sectors to emerge, African Governments need to facilitate the emergence of these projects and increase their engagement with potential investors. This facilitation needs to extend from the pre-ideation state (i.e. sector development strategies) through to ideation, project preparation, investor sourcing and financing support. Followed by ongoing aftercare and feedback to inform the amendment of sector development strategies and the enabling environment.
TBI is supporting the Government of Ghana with its drive to attract investments into key sectors of the economy including agri-processing, value adding manufacturing, mining and processing of extractives and digitization.
We now seek to appoint a Senior Investment Advisor, Ghana to focus on facilitating large bespoke transformational investments of into these presidential priority areas.
Job Title: Senior Investment Advisor
This is an initial fixed term role for two years.
- Lead on TBI’s bespoke investment opportunities facilitation for the Government of Ghana including the full life cycle of ideation, project preparation, evaluation, investor sourcing and financial structuring support
- Assist Government counterparts in conducting project screening & initial prefeasibility analyses on potential investment projects
- Support Government counterparts with developing an investor database of bankable projects and thereafter, pitching to potential investors and financiers
- Nurture and manage key relationships with investors, partners, lenders and key stakeholders
- Identify bottlenecks in ease of doing business, advice and support Government on the most appropriate measures
- Coordinate closely with other TBI Advisors working on investment facilitation in Ghana and including those in TBI’s central Investment Team
We are looking for an outstanding individual with a proven track record of delivery in the public or private sectors. The successful candidate will thrive in an environment where the importance of personal initiative coupled with teamwork is critical. Above all s/he will build effective relationships, win trust, and help shape and influence change in Government.
- Ideally an Investment professional with at least 7-10 years’ experience attracting large investments into Africa and or similar contexts, including but not limited to issues related to market systems development, public-private collaboration, export development, investment facilitation, commercial agriculture, and value chain development
- Deep understanding and deal structuring of Debt Finance, Private Equity, leverage finance and financial sponsor coverage highly desirable
- Experience of identifying and resolving project implementation bottlenecks with demonstrable capacity for follow through and delivering of results
- Political savvy and an understanding of the needs of a senior Government officials, while being able to work and interact at the highest level of public life
- Excellent in building trust at the highest levels of Government and managing effective relationships, including the ability to navigate a complex political environment
- An ability to work independently, think strategically and translate strategies into delivery plans on the ground, with emphasis on attention to details; with excellent analytical, organizational, communication and management skills
- Ability to liaise with partner Governments, external bodies, organizations and key stakeholders to deliver the requirements of the office, and TBI in particular
- Excellent writing, presentation skills and verbal communication skills. Working knowledge of French would be an added advantage
- Effective inter-personal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with counterparts across a large organization including with virtual teams
- A master’s degree in public policy, economics, finance, engineering or other relevant fields would be advantageous
- Above all, we are looking for individuals with high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, and a can-do attitude. Experience of living and working in developing countries is desirable but not essential.
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Advisory Practice works directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia. We are currently in a rapid expansion phase from c. 18 countries at present, to 30 by December 2022.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you’re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.