Are you excited by the prospect of transforming developing and emerging nations in Africa through the application of technology and innovations across public services, agriculture, health and climate? Do you have experience of consulting or working in the tech field and of leading teams to drive systemic and transformative change in an emerging or developing country?
Our main objective in this strategically important role is to rapidly deploy a tech for development initiative in Rwanda, which has been enabled by a dynamic external partner across existing and new operations in our Government Advisory and Tech & Public Policy divisions. This landmark initiative will be delivered in 30 countries, with activity in Rwanda starting immediately.
We have an advisory team embedded in Ghana some of who are now working within the central government to deploy data technologies to support the country’s COVID-19 response.
An exciting opportunity exists to work with the relevant ministries to implement a suite of technology products to support the health response and more. The post holder will drive the Ghana tech for development program, leading a tech team based in-country. The post holder will also work closely with TBI’s Global Director Tech for Development and his/her team to deliver our global plan.
This is a senior role requiring an exceptional candidate with relevant expertise, deep networks with government and/or industry in-country or other peer countries.
Job Title: Head of Tech for Development
Key outcomes of the role
- Establishing effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians in government, such as Presidents, PMs, Minister and Special Advisors, securing mandate with at least one key counterpart as regular contact;
- Delivery of our tech for developing country program plan created and staffed with engaged and results-oriented people
- Tangible results delivered in tech for development, such as deployment of solutions ranging from the current pandemic response and digital health offer, to proximate use cases such as digital payments, digital ID;
- Thought leadership recognised in country/regionally/globally and contribution to our tech for development global offer and playbook; and
- Expenditure in line with budget.
- Strategy and Planning: Design, maintain and continually improve: (i) the country strategy for tech for development; and (ii) plans and tools to roll out the strategy from one tech domain to another, within one ministry or across government.
- Government: Relations: Establish effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians in government, such as Presidents, PMs, Minister and Special Advisors. Secure mandates with at least one key counterpart as regular contact, in service of our mission to support political leaders to achieve results that benefit the people of the country and in service of our tech for development. initiative.
- Execution and Monitoring: Establish, review and maintain project goals, plans, proof points and KPIs. Serve as the focal point for tech for development in country, project and output quality control and design tools to support execution. Report and engage with Country Head Ghana, and the Global Director Tech for Development and his/her team to drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot and manage the initiative across TBI. Ensure expenditure is utilised in line with budget with robust management accounts and accountability established. Ensure all necessary risk, legal and financial compliance and processes are in place.
- People: Recruit, manage and develop a country team to report to post holder (with immediate effect hire a senior Programme Manager with sector experts to follow). Shape and embody a culture that drives innovation and delivery. Provide quality control of new hires and ongoing development and mentoring. The post holder and his/her team will be expected to play a key role in the broader community at TBI and will be expected to build strong working relationships.
- External Relations (non-governmental): Engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, investors, other not for profit organisations, media, suppliers and agencies.
- One TBI: The post holder will formally report into the Country Head Ghana and form part of the wider team and country programme. They will be matrixed on deliverables and work with the Global Director, Tech for Development based in London and his/her team. Other key relationships will be with the Executive Directors for External Relations, Government Advisory, Tech & Public Policy, and our Legal, HR and Finance support teams.
We are looking for an experienced leader:
- Who is strategic and can challenge the status-quo and develop plans for successful delivery of challenging objectives;
- With experience in business operations, technology, consulting or advisory functions;
- With demonstrable experience in technology enterprises or programmes;
- Who commits to business objectives and pulls out the stops to make sure they are always met;
- With outstanding management skills and the proven ability to build and inspire teams to achieve exceptional objectives;
- Who is a communicator and influencer, from board level through to technical level and is adept at managing up and beyond hierarchy;
- Who has worked or consulted in developing and emerging economies and is sensitive to a diverse range of cultural and regional norms, and will foster a positive spirit of collaboration between our countries and our tech transformation offer;
- With a bachelor’s or postgraduate degree or equivalent practical experience; and
- With a minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in management consulting or government advisory.