The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture Jobs 2019
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. IITA is headquartered in Nigeria, with offices located in other countries in sub-Saharan Africa, including Ghana. To find out more about IITA, visit our web site at http://www.iita.org
Job Title: Research Assistant – Agronomy/Horticulture
IITA hosts The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg, formerly, AVRDC) which is a nonprofit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to improved incomes and diets in the developing world through increased production and consumption of nutritious and health-promoting vegetables. WorldVeg’s Regional Office for West and Central (WCA) – Coastal and Humid Regions based in Cotonou, Benin Republic (with focus countries: Benin, Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria among others) conducts vegetable research and development and provides training and information services with the goal of improving nutrition and livelihoods among small-scale farmers and consumers in West and Central Africa.
Based on the World Vegetable Center’s new strategy for 2017 – 2025, the Center is expanding its work in Sub-Saharan Africa to increase vegetable production, household income and consumption with a focus in urban and peri-urban production systems in cocoa based systems along the coastal and humid regions of West and Central Africa. For more information on the World Vegetable Center, please visit: www.worldveg.org.
- Duty Station: Kumasi with field work travels to project sites in Ashanti and Western Regions of Ghana
- Terms of appointment: This is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at IITA Ghana/WorldVeg – Ghana’s Kumasi Office. Initial appointment is fixed term for one year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding.
IITA on behalf of World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg), is seeking a Research Assistant – Agronomy/Horticulture to implement home garden demonstration experimental trials and conduct dry season agronomic, cropping systems research and development activities within cocoa-based systems in the Ashanti and Western Regions of Ghana.
The incumbent is responsible for providing quality support to the WorldVeg Project Manager. Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Implement a home gardening project and train project beneficiaries on good agricultural practices in collaboration with public and private sector partners,
- Conduct research on characterization of vegetables varieties, fertilizer, water and land management,
- Conduct research on vegetable cropping systems research and development activities, including field trials, and other technical aspects of breeding and crop protection programs for key vegetables,
- Plan and implement field experiments including field layout, data collection, supervision of field assistants, farm laborers, students, other trainees
- Coordinate and assist in the conduct of other WorldVeg project activities in southern Ghana
- Prepare draft quality technical reports and articles, and
- Perform any duty assigned by the Project Manager and the Regional Director.
Required Skills or Experience
- An M.Sc. or equivalent in agronomy, horticulture, crop protection, soil, water management or related agricultural science discipline from a recognized institution
- At least 3 years relevant experience in international agricultural research with practical hands on experience in farmer training being desirable.
- Good skills in field experimentation design
- Proven experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection, preferably with a research and development organization implementing food and agriculture related projects
- Ability to plan and work independently
- Possess demonstrated strategic thinking and time management skills
- Good ability and demonstrated expertise to write, plan research, analyze data and complete timely reports
- Excellent interpersonal skills and be able to work as a member of an interdisciplinary team in a multi-cultural environment and should be able to interact effectively with project partners and service providers.
- Ability to speak and write English fluently, with very good working knowledge of the lingua franca of the Ashanti and Western Regions of Ghana.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV (4 pages maximum) explaining their interest in the position, relevant documents and testimonials and the names and addresses (telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Applications should be addressed to the Station Administrator, IITA-Ghana, P.O. Box TL 6, Tamale, and submitted by email ONLY to: [email protected] with a copy to [email protected] Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Closing date: January 25, 2019.
IITA is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply