Standard Bank Group Vacancies 2020
In collaboration with the Head of CIB, In-Country Executives, Group, Product Heads, Enabling Functions and all other key stakeholders, the Head of Client Coverage is required to play a key role in the execution of our Client Strategy. Ensure that the resources involved have the necessary leadership, guidance and support to achieve the set financial performance targets. Additionally, the Head of Client Coverage is required to leverage internal and external industry relationships to achieve high levels of client service, business targets and revenue opportunities across Client Coverage.
Job Title: Head, Client Coverage
1. Develop and drive the execution of the Client Coverage country strategy
- Develop and implement the Client Coverage strategy in line with the overall strategy and parameters set by the PRMC (Portfolio Risk Management Committee).
- Collaborate with the Head of CIB, Country Client Coverage team, Head Client Coverage (Region), to ensure alignment between the Country strategy and overall client coverage strategy.
- Monitor and review the attainment of the annual, short, medium and long term strategy objectives of Client Coverage.
- Prioritise the strategic objectives for Client Coverage by working with all upstream and downstream partners and team.
- Set and drive the achievement of financial targets, such as revenue, ROEs etc. and achieve the budgeted profitability.
2. Oversee and Manage the efficient delivery of services to clients
- Address gaps in the business architecture (process, technology or people) that could prevent the success of the strategy and objectives defined.
- Review and oversee the adherence to the area’s service level agreements and address any shortcomings.
- Provide the required strategic leadership to enable transaction execution for key clients whilst championing the Universal Financial Services agenda.
- Continuously identify and implement opportunities of continuous improvement in the team by using personal discretion or initiative.
- Lead the development of innovative solutions tailored to the client’s needs which will allow Standard Bank to meet the business requirements.
- Maintain a proficient and relevant knowledge of products, pricing, services and capabilities across the team to ensure relevant and informed client conversations.
- Responsible for managing macroeconomic fundamentals in country and responding appropriately.
- Develop short term and long term sales and product plans, focusing on customers, competition, profitability, product life cycle and service consideration, in addition to organizing sales programs for growth and product penetration.
3. Manage the budget of the area
- Forecast the annual costs of the area, with the input from the upstream and downstream partners and team.
- Interrogate and authorize all expenditures of the area.
- Ensure all operational and activity costs remain within the allocated budget.
- Continuously Identify opportunities for cost reduction and improved efficiency.
4. Manage risk and compliance
- Manage the level of exposure and set limits within the bank’s risk appetite.
- Ensure the area’s practices adhere to the SBG compliance and risk management framework.
- Ensure the client coverage practices adhere to the SBG policies and procedural guidelines.
- Ensure that the client coverage practices adhere to the country specific legal framework.
- Review and approve assurance and audit scope documentation as well as findings.
- Drive a culture of proactive compliance within the area.
- Ensure Completion of mandatory compliance training of the area.
5. Lead the area efficiently and effectively
- Collaborate with Human Capital, to develop the people strategy for the area with a focus on talent management, resourcing, development and retention.
- Conduct performance appraisals for direct reports.
- Set clear performance standards for each team member, monitors the performance and provides regular feedback.
- Recruit and retain staff with superior performance/potential and rewards them appropriately.
- Lead and continuously develop resources and build a credible and capable team.
- Approve the outcomes of moderation and distribution activities across the area, regarding performance appraisals.
- Mentor key managers and executives in the area on people management techniques and approaches.
- Motivate managers to demonstrate living the values.
- Define the learning strategy that will address future client coverage requirements.
- Ensure that adequate time and resources are allocated to support development across the function.
6. Build and manage stakeholder relationships
- Identify and manage relevant internal and external stakeholders for Client Coverage.
- Build and maintain relationships with relevant internal and external Stakeholder, and leverage off the relationships when required.
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with key clients to drive the development and delivery of business solutions and revenue growth for the bank.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of the key clients’ strategy, business context and financial performance and share this with CST.
- Develop and implement strategic client plans (together with the core CST) in line with the broader strategy.
- Ensure the administration and analysis of the Client Service Surveys, as well as the implementation of focused action plans needed to address the gaps identified.
7. Provide Internal Leadership and Guidance
- Continuously internally position Client Coverage in Standard Bank, by demonstrating the potential business opportunities and advantages of the operating model.
- Provide a framework under which all should operate to ensure the necessary controls; monitoring and support are in place to achieve high levels of client service and solutions development.
- Embed the client engagement model within the strategy and act as facilitator between business units on deployment of resources to the client with a focus on risk optimisation, efficient limit and capital utilisation and maximising profitability.
- Act as the “first line of defence” as required by the Credit Standard.
- Provide leadership at various Risk forums.
8. Build Standard Bank’s profile in the industry
- Continuously build Standard Bank’s industry profile with high level, representation at conferences, workshops, expert panels, key industry events, publications and other marketing events which fit SB’s market focus.
- Drive client specific marketing programmes and assist with the execution of the local/regional sector(s) marketing plan for existing and new clients
9. Develop and share in-depth industry knowledge
- Maintain detailed and current understanding of the industry (at a macro-global level, specific regional or local issues and key clients) to ensure that new opportunities for Standard Bank are capitalised and threats are quickly identified.
- Continuously, and through different channels, share industry knowledge expertise with the team and internal stakeholders.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience (of which 5 years should have been within a Corporate Investment Banking environment, and preferably at least one year experience within a credit environment with a minimum of 3-5 years in a strategic leadership role.
- Minimum Qualification – Undergraduate qualification or NQF equivalent. Other relevant qualifications including post graduate qualifications such as an MBA
The individual must have mastered the concept, able to act independently, provide guidance and training to others in the following areas;
- Business Acumen – The ability to analyse business financial performance as well as competitor and external factors as it would apply to the people practice in the organisation.
- Strategy Definition – The ability to develop and drive shared understanding of a long term vision for the organisation
- Strategic Planning and Reporting – Knowledge and understanding of the process and thinking required to formulate objectives and priorities, and implement plans consistent with the long-term interests of the organisation in a global environment. The ability to identify and capitalise on opportunities and manage risks.
- Planning, Forecasting and Budgeting – The ability to plan financial objectives in terms of cost and/or revenue for the short, medium and long term.
- People Strategy Development – The ability to translate organisational goals into strategic people plans.