Social Safeguards Specialist at Ghana Water Company Limited – Jobs in Ghana
Are you an employer looking to recruit qualified candidates? Post Premium Jobs Today.
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
Ghana Water Company Limited is seeking to recruit a Social Safeguards Specialist.
• Assess from social point of view, which of the GWCL project activities will need screening and specific management and action plans to mitigate negative social and environmental impacts of the subproject
• Lead the implementation of all involuntary resettlement activities under component 2
• Prepare TORs to guide Consultants to prepare site specific social safeguards instruments required for mitigating social impacts of proposed projects prior to commencement of civil works
• Provide intensive on-site support to consultants or agencies involved in preliminary resettlement studies or preparation of resettlement action plans
• Ensure the timely and appropriate liaison between MSWR,EPA and Metropolitan/Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) on social issues within the Project components 2.
• Supervise, Coordinate and facilitate consultants engaged to carry out social impact assessments and resettlement planning and monitoring of safeguards instruments implementation
• Prepare internal social guidelines for preparation, review, implementation, monitoring and reporting on various safeguards instruments
• Review ESIAs/RAP/ARAP/s and other social documents prepared by consultants to ensure compliance with relevant safeguards policies of the World Bank and Ghana.
• From social point of, review environmental and social impact analaysis (ESIA) reports and environmental and social management plans (ESMP) from consultants in collaboration the environmental specialist and EPA and work with consultants or appropriate agencies in formulating recommendations on alternatives so as to avoid implementing activities that could generate social repercussions and to intervene with actions that minimise/mitigate negative social impacts
• Submit all draft resettlement action plans to GAMA, PCU and World Bank for review and clearance
• Lead the disclosure of RAPs/ARAPs related to GWCL component of the project
• Propose for partner NGOs, approaches to be undertaken for successful community mobilization programs on social issues
• Lead the implementation of the grievance redress mechanism developed for the project by the GWCL and keep accurate records of grievances received and addressed
• Prepare and implement a comprehensive orientation and training program introducing social safeguard policies, principle and procedures to GWCL and other project implementing agencies, supervising engineering consultant and contractors
• In collaboration with environmental specialist and other technical officers, monitor compliance with safeguards requirements and inclusion of safeguards requirement in the revised standard bidding document of the World Bank and civil works contracts and devise a corrective action plan to address significant non-compliance issues where required
• Coordinate and facilitate the work consultants engaged to carry out social impact assessments and preparation or implementation of resettlement action plans and monitoring issues where required.
• Coordinate and facilitate the work of consultants engaged to carry out social impact assessments and preparation of or implementation of resettlement action plans and monitoring of these instruments
• Coordinate gender issues for GWCL component of the GAMA Project and advise on how the project activities can be more sensitive to meet the priorities of both men ad women beneficiaries in GWCL project communities
• Ensure zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse by project workers (including the contractors and implementing agency staff, facilitate HIV/AIDs orientation programme at construction sites issues related to labour influx (people coming into the project area for project related work), etc and any other as may be required
• Undertake frequent field visits to all project sites to assess the efficiency of the grievance redress mechanism established for the project
• Lead periodic social safeguards audit of the implementation of the RAPs.
• Facilitate the implementation of the project’s grievance redress mechanism by monitoring the status of grievances, facilitating their resolution, maintaining, documentation and reporting progress.
• Coordinate World Bank Specialist visits to field to review safeguards compliance
• Develop and maintain the project’s information database on social safeguards aspects, including a system to track the projects relevant documents
• Prepare up-to-date and accurate resettlement program statistics, periodic resettlement reports and needs assessments and submit safeguards report to the GAMA PCU on monthly, quarterly and annual basis, in addition, the consultant will be required to prepare or contribute to the preparation of other reports, as and when needed
• Perform any other social safeguards duty assigned by the GWCL
Qualification Required & Experience
• Have a minimum of a Masters Degree in Social Sciences or related field
• At least 3 years experience as a safeguards specialist on similar projects
• Have at least 5 years of post – qualification, practical experience in social safeguards assessment and management, sustainable development, social protection, project implementation and capacity building
• Be familiar with World Bank Safeguard policies, procedures and application and conversant with Ghana EPA’s environmental assessment regulations and procedures
Knowledge & Skills
• Creative and innovative team player
• Exceptional organisation problem-solving and analytical skills
• Excellent communication skills and ability to influence at all levels
• Proven leadership skills and motivate team members to deliver excellent results
• Strong team building, decision making and people management skills
• Ability to work under pressure and achieve targets
• High level of organisation and attention to detail
• Good human relation skills
Age Limit: Candidates should not be more than 40 years old
Applications accompanied by supporting documents, names and addresses of three (3) referees should be sent to:
The Managing Director
Ghana Water company Limited
P.O.Box MB 194
Head Office Ministres – Accra
Closing Date: 05 October, 2019