SENIOR PROJECT OFFICER -DIGNITY FOR ALL (D4A) PROJECT
Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is the umbrella network organisation representing Fairtrade certified producers and workers in Africa. It has four (4) regional networks – Eastern & Central Africa; Southern Africa; Western Africa; and the Middle East and North Africa. Established in 2005, FTA aims to effectively represent producers and workers within the International Fairtrade system and provide services to them that contribute to the improvement of their livelihoods.
Dignity for All Programme- (FTA and Fairtrade Finland Partnership Programme):
This is a four-year Development Cooperation Programme funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs (MFA) of Finland with further support from National Fairtrade Organizations (NFOs) e.g. Fairtrade Finland Underpinned by the Fairtrade Theory of Change (ToC), the D4A Impact Programme seeks justice and fairness through exercising rights and freedoms, empowerment through strengthening the assets and capabilities of the most marginalized farmers and workers, and the attainment of sustainable livelihoods through building resilient agro-based trade systems and societies. The programme is aimed at capturing and assessing simultaneous change in four areas (spheres of change): Small producer & worker organizations; Supply chain business practices; Consumer behaviour and Civil society action.
The programme has six different projects that are currently being implemented in four countries across Africa i.e. Ghana, Ethiopia, Malawi and South Africa focusing on Fairtrade-certified Banana, Flowers, Wine, Tea (Hired Labour), Coffee and Cocoa (Smallholder Producers) value chains.
The goal of the programme is to safeguard the rights of the producers and workers to a dignified life. The overarching objectives of the programme are:
(i) Realizing the right to a sustainable livelihood of producer households
(ii) Realizing the right to a sustainable livelihood of worker households
(iii) Advancing fair and sustainable trade
The programme also has 3 cross-cutting objectives applicable to each of the six projects as follows: Gender Equality; Inclusion of vulnerable persons and environmental sustainability.
ABOUT THE JOB
· To support hired labour organizations and workers in conducting a needs assessment, thematic training and providing coaching to strengthen capacity.
· To provide pre and post-certification support as required.
· Post holder reports to Project Coordinator – Dignity for All Project
· Staff reporting to this post**: None**
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: Yes
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish a business case for each project, supported by budget information and income projections
- Manage the implementation of projects to develop the capacity of hired labour organizations and workers
- Monitor operational activities and effectiveness of results and milestones
- Compile monthly updates and quarterly reports using FTA and project templates
- Support the development of project proposals
Provide thematic training and technical advisory support training to producer organisations and Fairtrade Premium Committees:
- Project and financial management
- Gender mainstreaming
- Hired Labour Standards
- Fairtrade Premium management
- Product Certification Cycle
- Initiate and maintain relationships with local communities, public and government institutions, educational institutions among other stakeholders
- Understand producer needs and concerns, advocate on relevant policies to enhance FTA’s work with the local opinion leaders and decision-makers.
- Ensure awareness of the local trends, perceptions and players in the local community.
- Advice on how to manage risk and optimise on the opportunities
- Influence localised policies and perceptions in favour of FTA through the support of the D4A Project Coordinator.
- Support the identification of opportunities for programmes and projects development
- Support and provide advice to producer groups to enable access to trade and marketing opportunities
- Support the needs and situational assessment of HLOs and propose recommendations to best support workers
- Support in provision of technical assistance to HLOs in the development of business strategic plans, marketing plans related to business development and growth requirements
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Agriculture or related field
Experience and Knowledge
- A minimum of 3 years’ project management experience in a similar environment
- Experience of delivering training to a range of audiences
- Experience in business development within sustainable supply chains
- Knowledge and understanding of labour laws and industrial relations in Ghana
- Knowledge and understanding of Fairtrade standards
- Thematic knowledge and expertise in FTA’s priority areas
- Good command of spoken and written English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with individuals across multi-functional disciplines
- Conflict resolution skills
- Good organizational skills
- Good training and facilitation skills
- Strong planning and project management skills
- Ability to speak the local language