Senior Program Manager (IBM) | ReliefWeb
Position Title: Senior Program Manager (IBM)
Duty Station: Accra, Ghana
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 03 March 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
External female candidates:
Candidate from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states of IOM and female candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the direct supervision of the IOM Ghana (resident), Togo and Benin Chief of Mission and with direct technical support from the Regional Thematic Specialist for the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) as well as the IBM Team in HQ, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for the overall development, management, coordination and oversight of the IBM projects portfolio and strategy in the Gulf of Guinea Region to strengthen the capacity of border management agencies and reinforce the resilience of border communities to respond to emerging challenges in border management, contributing to stronger migration governance and border security in the region.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop and manage the IBM regional projects for the Gulf of Guinea (specifically in Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana and Togo) in an effective and timely manner, in line with IOM’s policies and practices as well as donor requirements, including ensuring the integration of new modalities and practices and methods for evaluation into the project formulation process, monitoring and assessing project implementation activities and take corrective or alternative action for improvement and success.
In coordination with the IOM relevant offices including RO Dakar, RO Brussels and IBM HQ, exercise administrative, operational and financial management responsibility of the regional projects.
Provide authoritative advice and technical expertise for the design and implementation of contextualized capacity building activities on a variety of migration and border management thematic areas, including but not limited to Integrated Border Management, Border Management Information System (IOM’s Migration Information and Data Analysis System – MIDAS), counter-migrant smuggling and Humanitarian Border Management (HBM), targeting relevant institutions, communities as well as project staff.
Ensure all internal and external narrative and financial reporting are met, including donor reporting and updates, according to donor guidelines and IOM regulations and established procedures
Establish strong working relationships at national and regional levels, including with relevant government counterparts and regional authorities and participate in external immigration and border management related engagements to enhance awareness of IOM’s capacities in the IBM field and pursue increased cooperation with key stakeholders such as relevant UN agencies, international organizations, NGOs, academia, and the private sector.
In coordination with relevant government partners and other stakeholders, identify immigration and border management emerging needs and priorities to expand the IBM programming in the Gulf of Guinea. Develop key resource mobilization strategy and interact with donors as required.
Ensure adequate information management of project activities including production of relevant communication and visibility materials according to the donor and IOM rules.
Supervise and direct project and other programme staff; oversee and coordinate, as required, the recruitment of programming staff and consultants.
Participate in or lead field missions and other duty travel relating to project implementation, monitoring and assessment, liaison with counterparts, and any other task as necessary in order to achieve project objectives.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in managing large complex multi component projects;
• Experience in the field of migration and border management, including policy and operational experience;
• Strong background in immigration and border management, including border management technologies, Integrated Border Management, capacity building in migration and border management, and related areas;
• Experience of running large IBM projects and programmes, delivering IBM-related trainings/workshops to Government officials desirable;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs;
• Extensive work experience with Government or an International Organization in the thematic area.
• Strong planning, coordination and logistics skills related to implementation of complex activities;
• Strong communication skills, including good oral and written English and French as well as good computer skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point);
• Very good knowledge of administrative, financial and procedural aspects of project management approaches;
• Familiarity with the region is an asset;
• Very good representational skills, including discretion and good judgment.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.