Senior Private Sector Development Officer at African Development Bank – Jobs in Ghana
Are you an employer looking to recruit qualified candidates? Post Premium Jobs Today.
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice-Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization. The complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector and financial sector development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa. The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The private sector development (PSD) team coordinates the efforts of the Bank in support of the development of the private sector in Africa. The main focus will be on helping countries plan and implement reforms aiming at improving the business enabling environment for the private sector. The main activities include economic sector work, private sector diagnostics, policy dialogue, and designing and supervising the implementation of regulatory reforms. The team works with various units of the Bank, in regional and country offices as well as from sector departments and the economic governance department to prepare comprehensive reform plans addressing key sectors or factors pertaining to the enabling environment in Regional Member Countries (RMCs).
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Chief Policy Economist, the Senior Private Sector Development Specialist will perform the following, but not limited to:
- Prepare economic sector work and private sector diagnostics in assigned countries
- Prepare policy notes, reform action plans following economic analysis
- Participate in policy dialogue with government officials, business associations, private businesses, and other relevant stakeholders that would result in priority actions
- Prepare public projects to address priority action plans agreed during the policy dialogue
- Lead projects through the project approval process of the Bank
- Seek funding from trust funds or donor countries as necessary
- Support the implementation of projects in collaboration with the country office and other relevant units of the Bank.
- Identify, contract and manage expert consultants as needed to leverage the work of the team
- Participate in Bank wide working groups as necessary
- Represent the Bank in international conferences and workshops related to PSD
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Economics and/or Public Policy or in a related discipline.
- Have a minimum of five (05) years of relevant professional experience.
- Strong background in analytical work (e.g. private sector diagnostics) to identify challenges and propose solutions
- Capacity to produce high level analytical reports and policy briefs. Relevant articles/reports publications as author or co-author.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategies, policies or programs in support of private sector development
- Strong background in issues of economic regulation and policy reform.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands/priorities under tight deadlines.
- Work experience in a development institution is also desirable.
- Operational effectiveness.
- Innovation and creativity.
- Team working and relationship.
- Client orientation.
- Excellent spoken and written English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; Knowledge of SAP is advantageous.