Results for Development Recruitment 2019
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
Job Title: Country Engagement Manager
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D and we want to keep it that way. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative, and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D seeks a highly motivated and dynamic Country Engagement Manager based in Accra, Ghana to play a key leadership role on the USAID Health Systems Strengthening Accelerator (HSS Accelerator) program in Ghana.
Please note, this position is grant-funded through 2023. Ghanaian nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a Ghanaian benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
The HSS Accelerator is a global, USAID Cooperative Agreement to strengthen institutions and processes, and build local expertise, to ensure that health systems can tackle future challenges and weather shocks with less reliance on external support. The HSS Accelerator is applying a potentially paradigm-changing approach to support countries on their journey to self-reliance. And, to ultimately ensure that health systems work for the people and communities who need them.
The HSS Accelerator is led by Results for Development (R4D) with support from the Health Strategy and Delivery Foundation (HSDF, headquartered in Nigeria), and ICF. Additional global, regional, and local partners will be selected in partnership with USAID/OHS and USAID Missions based on demand.
Activities in Ghana
Over the next four years, the HSS Accelerator will work with Ghanaian health stakeholders on activities to support the development of a self-reliant health system to advance Ghana’s vision for achieving universal health coverage (UHC). In June 2019, the HSS Accelerator embarked on a scoping exercise to explore opportunities for collaboration and is currently working with Ghanaian health stakeholders to define a scope of work that will be implemented starting in September 2019. The HSS Accelerator is looking to expand its team in Accra to help support the implementation of this activity in Ghana.
The Country Engagement Manager will play a key program management and technical role on the HSS Accelerator activities in Ghana. The Country Engagement Manager will serve as the day-to-day lead of the HSS Accelerator’s activities in Ghana and will be responsible for ensuring that both Accra- and US-based HSS Accelerator staff work collaboratively with Ghanaian health stakeholders to implement activities. As part of this work, the Country Engagement Manager is also expected to engage effectively with a multitude of stakeholders and play a key role in shaping the strategic direction of this work.
A successful candidate will have strong program management skills and a technical background in health systems strengthening (and familiarity with health financing as well). S/he should also be highly motivated, a creative problem solver; have strong analytical, communication, process facilitation, and collaboration skills; and have a commitment to excellence and producing results.
This position is based in Accra, Ghana and will report to the Senior Program Director in Accra.
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the HSS Accelerator activity in Ghana, including leading the management and implementation of the work plan.
- Oversee all program management aspects of the HSS Accelerator activity in Ghana, including management of HSS Accelerator staff and consultants based in Ghana, finances, procurements and reports for USAID partners.
- Serve as a key liaison between the HSS Accelerator activity in Ghana and the USAID/Ghana mission and participate in regular meetings with them.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with key partners, including the USAID/Ghana mission and stakeholders from the government (e.g., Ministry of Health, Ghana Health Service, National Health Insurance Authority, Health Facilities and Regulatory Agency, etc.), private sector, faith-based organizations, civil society, academic institutions, and other development partners.
- Act as a mentor to members of the HSS Accelerator Ghana team and provide feedback on key deliverables, funder reports, etc.
- Link lessons from the HSS Accelerator activity in Ghana to the overall implementation of the HSS Accelerator and more broadly to R4D.
- Participate in R4D annual staff retreats and strategic initiatives.
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience on issues related to health systems strengthening and familiarity with health financing issues in Ghana.
- MD and/or master’s degree or PhD in a relevant field (public health, health economics, public or social policy, public administration, business, management or similar).
- Proven leadership in conceptualizing, planning and implementing projects or programs. Experience managing USAID or other donor-funded grants is highly desired.
- Demonstrated track record in building partnerships with government health agencies and other key health stakeholders.
- Experience providing process facilitation support on issues related to health systems strengthening – i.e., supporting a country-led process that has broad stakeholder buy-in, develops the capacity of country partners, and leads to contextually appropriate and technically valid solutions.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability. Ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment and be responsive to country partners and funders.
- Highly collaborative and accessible leadership style, with experience managing teams. Enthusiasm about working in an open environment with multicultural peers and staff.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to: effectively facilitate high-level meetings; prepare clear and concise emails, presentations and reports.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- High level of Microsoft Office proficiency, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.