Regional Animal Health & Production Specialist at FAO – Jobs in Ghana
Are you an employer looking to recruit qualified candidates? Post Premium Jobs Today.
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations d epending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Regional Office for Africa leads FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. In its programme delivery, RAF contributes to the achievements of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), especially the eradication of poverty, achieving zero hunger, good health and well-being. Africa is particularly affected by and vulnerable to climate change. This is mainly due to the important role of agriculture sectors for the populations’ livelihoods for the countries’ economies.
The tasks envisaged for this consultancy are to be carried out within the framework of RAF RI2 ”Sustainable Production and Intensification and Value Chain Development in Africa’ (SP2, SP4 (and SP3/R13).
The consultant will report to the RAF Senior Animal Health & Production Officer and under the overall supervision of the Deputy Director Representative (DDR)/RAF
The consultant will contribute to the activities of RAF RI2 (SP2, SP4 (and SP3/R13) livestock outputs, indicators, results and activities for biennial work plan and reporting; provide technical expertise to the development of concepts notes, reports and documents or information; support programme and project formulation, planning, implementation, management and evaluation.
Tasks and responsibilities
In close collaboration with all team members the consultant is expected to:
- Provide technical support, assistance, development, back-stopping and facilitate implementation of animal health and production projects in sub-Sahara Africa within RI2 and RI3;
- Contribute to the formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of animal health and production projects and programs in sub-Sahara Africa
- Support and facilitate the finalization and endorsement workshop for the animal health and production technical program framework;
- Support capacity development at the livestock-wildlife-human-ecosystem interface;
- Help support & improve coordination between FAO HQ, RAF, Resiliency Hubs on pastoralism, ECTAD and AMR programming/activities in sub-Sahara Africa;
- Support increased awareness and outreach (web, social media, other) about the sub-Sahara Africa animal health and production program;
- Support the development of livestock relevant outputs, indicators, results and activities for the biennial work plan including reporting against these indicators;
- Implement other duties as assigned.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University degree (Veterinary (DVM) or equivalent);
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience (that can include post- graduate school academic training, internships or externships) in international veterinary medicine, disease ecology, prevention or control at the wildlife-livestock-ecosystem-public health interface, One Health, pastoralism, agricultural and/or rural development sectors;
- Working knowledge of English and/or French, and limited knowledge of the other one (COF. REG). Working knowledge of English or French (for PSA. SBS).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Demonstrated ability to analyse problems, make appropriate recommendations, effective decisions, including in development settings
- Computer literacy with Word, PowerPoint and basic spreadsheets.
- Excellent communication (both written and oral) and presentation skills.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency