Our client is a financial services institution with the objective of increasing access to finance for Ghanaian enterprises, particularly small and medium enterprises (SMEs). Our client also provides wholesale financing/lines of credit and partial credit guarantees to eligible financial institutions.
Job Title: Chief Economist
Roles & Responsibilities
• As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Chief Economist would conduct an ongoing research programme on the Ghanaian economy – its growth, employment, and export potential—on external economic developments and their possible impacts on Ghana.
• The role is to support with research insights on the medium to long-term strategy formulation for the Bank’s management and Board consideration.
• The CE is also to conduct research on products useful for local firms and entrepreneurs in the Bank’s targeted sectors.
• S/he would also maintain a rigorous programme of monitoring and evaluation of the Bank’s impact on economic growth, diversification and employment in the Ghanaian economy.
• The role would provide overall supervisory and day to day running of the Research, Strategy and Evaluation department.
Strategy Formulation and Evaluation
• Lead in the definition and implementation of a rigorous research programme to underpin the development of strategies for the Bank to pursue its mandate
• Support, and in consultation with other executives, the development of medium to long-term strategy for the Board
• Lead in the definition and implementation of a strong Monitoring and Evaluation programme on the impact of the Bank’s operations on Ghana’s economic growth, diversification, and employment
• Conduct research on drivers of the performance of the Bank’s and PFIs’ portfolios)
• Develop useful knowledge materials and collaborate with partners (e.g. NBSSI, donor agencies etc.) that provide training/business development services (BDS) to stakeholders, including firms and entrepreneurs in the Bank’s targeted sectors
• Lead the Research and Evaluation department in collaborating with other national and international agencies to enable the Bank to contribute to shaping Ghana’s national economic development strategies
• Sit on Investment Committee to give input on the economic assumptions of various investment proposals.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Minimum of 15 years’ qualification, with at least 8 years’ experience in a Senior Management role overseeing researchers (e.g. running research department of large size financial institution, a university or a comparable agency)
• A PhD in Economics with a strong quantitative emphasis from an internationally reputable university.
• Proven evidence of producing analytical reports to inform decision making.
• International experience in development finance is required, with experience in Africa being an advantage
• Intimate knowledge of the economic development literature, particularly as it pertains to the role that development banks have played in successful economic transformations around the world and the role that they have played in Ghana and Africa is required.
• Evidence of excellent leadership, goal achievement, stakeholder engagement, professionalism, networking, and collaborative skills.
Stakeholder and External Relations
• Maintain effective engagement with firms, entrepreneurs, and business associations in the sector of focus for the Bank
• Build partnerships with economics departments in leading universities and international organizations
• Maintain engagement with partners (e.g. NBSSI, donors, etc.) providing business development services (BDS) for businesses in the Bank’s sectors of focus; encourages them to strengthen their services and provides them with useful knowledge materials as possible
• Maintain effective engagement with relevant stakeholders (e.g. Ministry of Finance, Bank of Ghana, National Development and Planning Commission, economic departments of universities, business associations, etc.) in contributing to the formulation of national economic strategies and support the country in meeting the relevant SDG goals
• Would be visible externally, interact with AfDB, IMF, WB, ECOWAS as well as the government of Ghana, and constantly in media, as well as publishing thought leadership materials that have an impact on the way everyone thinks about the economy.
• Oversee the activities of all units within the Research and Evaluation department
• Develop capability of subordinates towards the achievement of their own performance targets.
How To Apply
To apply, interested candidates should send their CV and cover letter to: [email protected]
The role being applied for should be the subject of the email.
Closing Date: 06 November, 2020