Project Manager at Ghana Wildlife Society – Jobs in Ghana
• The Project Manager will need to ensure the project is delivering on a range of priorities within Ghana Wildlife Society, with a strong focus on building internal and external relationships with partners and stakeholders.
• The candidate must have strong technical skills in relevant aspects of conservation and sustainable land-use management and/ or sustainable agriculture, and have a strong proven record of accomplishment in managing large-scale sustainable development or conservation projects, with requisite operational, project, grant and financial management skills.
• Strong leadership and people management skills are essential to the role to ensure a professional and motivated team that delivers effectively against project aims, objectives and timelines.
Job Title: Project Manager, SIBCI
Reporting to: Executive Director
Duty Post: 70% of time in Damongo and 30% of time in Accra
Key Relationships: The post-holder is expected to adopt a collaborative approach and will work closely with GWS colleagues in Damongo and Accra, Wildlife Division staff, national partners and other stakeholders on all aspects of his/her role. Key external relationships include Wildlife Division of the Forestry Commission, National Development Planning Commission, Regional Coordinating Council, District Assemblies (West Gonja/Gonja, North/Mamprusi-Muaduri/Sawla-Tuna-Kalba and Wa East), Environmental Protection Agency, Ministry of Agriculture, NGOs and BirdLife Partners in Burkina Faso and Côte d’Ivoire.
Responsible for: The Damongo Office and all project staff including the Project Coordinator and Project Coordination Teams of Partners, Project Finance and Administrative Officer, Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, Communication Specialist Project Coordinators of Partners, local experts and consultants as dictated by the project.
• Manage the effective implementation of the SIBCI Project, coordinating and supporting the inputs
from consultants, field and Partner staff.
• Manage and support our implementing partners including capacity building as required.
• Represent the SIBCI project in the Northern/Savannah and other regions, and manage the project team based in Damongo/Accra.
Project Team Management:
• Provide line management to project staff as required through goal/target setting, continuous performance management, annual appraisal, capacity strengthening and personal development planning to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of the project.
• Manage project inputs from relevant technical and operational staff and implementing partners in line with agreed project team structure.
• Encourage a culture of excellent communication and collaboration among project team members. and between the project team and staff at the GWS National Secretariat.
Project Planning & Implementation:
• Support project team members to ensure up-to-date workplans and budgets are in place to meet project objectives and timelines and ensure that the project is implemented in line with workplans and within budget.
• Work with local partners and consultants, taking into account GWS existing approaches and EU grant procedures, and ensure appropriate monitoring and review processes are fulfilled.
• Scout for supplementary human resources required to ensure timely and cost-effective delivery, including the management of consultants and other sub-contractors.
• Work hand in hand with the M&E Specialist to manage and develop processes for the effective monitoring and evaluation of the project, ensuring timely adaptation as required to meet project objectives and timelines, and support the dissemination of lessons learnt.
• Coordinate the inputs from the Project Steering Committee and the M&E specialist in activities specified in the project M&E plan.
• Closely monitor in-country developments that may influence the project, and ensure timely communication of issues to relevant members of the project team.
• Ensure that excellent communication is maintained with the project team and partners, and GWS Secretariat.
• Prepare project narrative and financial reports, with support from the Accounts Officer and GWS Finance Office and ensure timely and accurate technical, operational and donor reporting.
• Work closely with the designated line manager to ensure internal and donor-driven monitoring and evaluation requirements for EU grant are met.
• Project management skills with proven experience in implementation of large-scale conservation/sustainable agriculture projects.
• Excellent leadership and people management skills, with ability to motivate and manage individuals to achieve excellence.
• English language proficiency (written and oral).
• Proven skills in financial and budget management with large grants.
• Ability to plan and think strategically in a complex multi-stakeholder environment.
• Strong technical skills relating to conservation/sustainable agriculture in conservation landscapes.
• Proven ability to collaborate effectively with partner organisations, including governments, NGOs, community groups and businesses.
• Strong verbal communication and diplomacy skills, with ability to present, negotiate and persuade at all levels with confidence and credibility, including supporting community engagement and relations with technical experts and government.
• Strong written communication skills, including report and proposal writing.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A Masters’ degree or equivalent qualification in a conservation/natural resource management or relevant social/biological science field.
• Strong, relevant experience of managing conservation projects in the field.
• A strong technical background and understanding of a range of conservation issues, particularly including protected area management, sustainable agriculture in conservation landscapes, conservation financing.
• Proven experience of large-size (over 1million Euros) project implementation, including financial management and administration.
• Track record in project development and/or fundraising.
• Experience managing teams to deliver complex projects.
• Experience working with partners, government institutions and communities.
Location: Accra & Damongo