Operations Manager, Procurement at Guinness – Jobs in Ghana
Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks business with an outstanding collection of beverage alcohol brands across spirits, beer and wine. These brands include Guinness, Harp, Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, Baileys, Captain Morgan and Malta Guinness.
Africa represents Diageo’s largest group of emerging markets in terms of net sales and employs over 5,300 people (one in four of Diageo’s total workforce worldwide) in its businesses in Africa and many more indirectly through the production, distribution and promotion of its brands. Today, while Guinness remains at the heart of our business, being brewed in over 20 countries and exported to many others, our range of brands and geographic reach has expanded and our supply presence has grown to support it.
Diageo Global Procurement is accountable for the Procurement of Supply, Marketing and Indirect goods and services with a total global spend of circa £5bn. Our aim is to be renowned as an exceptionally agile, value driven function which works as fully integrated business partners regularly beating our own high expectations and those of our stakeholders. Procurement will boldly drive improved operating margin and competitive advantage by leading cost-consciousness and best-in-class procurement through a high performing organisation. We will enable brand growth and best use of our A&P resources by leveraging supplier capabilities and external innovation. We are committed to Assure, Protect and Create Value for Diageo.
Diageo Global Procurement has implemented a new global model, operating as One Procurement Community (OPC), with a series of defined Global and Market decision rights. The Market Procurement teams will focus on brilliant execution of the Global led strategies developed by the Global Procurement teams, as well as leading the sourcing for categories defined as local sourced.
Responsible for all Procurement controlled spend within Guinness Ghana . Annual procurement spend is approximately hundred million Great British Pounds (£100m) across all categories of spend in the Demand, Indirects and Supply areas (including Capex).
This role holder is expected to deliver significant profit growth and added value to the business through improved procurement practices, strategic sourcing and development of the current supply base, and new suppliers, while maintaining existing service and quality parameters.
The Ghana Procurement team manages approx. £143m of external spend with approx. 338 active suppliers across Supply, Demand and Indirects categories of spend and is a significant contributor of value to Africa business performance, targeted to deliver year on year cost savings of between 3-5% of total spend.
However there are a number of challenges including:
- Strategic Category management and innovative procurement techniques in general are not widely known due to an immature, but rapidly developing supply base
- reliance on imports which makes cost management a challenge
- Infrastructure of the country is still developing and in many cases the supply base is non optimal due to excessive fragmentation
Diageo Global Procurement is a truly global team. The role holder will be required to work closely with colleagues from countries all around the world and with stakeholders at all levels within the markets. The ability to build strong relationships and influence remotely and inter culturally is key to success in this role.
Management of 9 direct reports
Management and leadership of Procurement teams responsible for two (2) production sites and all areas of spend.
Embedding world-class procurement best practices and processes.
Influencing key stakeholders, leadership teams and suppliers, across all markets, to enable implementation of best-in-class procurement processes and practices that deliver sustainable value for our business.
High performance coaching, building local teams and development of the Procurement function to world class standards.
Live the Diageo Leadership Standards detailed below:
Win through Execution – Lead bold execution in a fast moving world
- Act like owners of Diageo by holding self and others to account for highest standards
- Scan the environment constantly and adapt plans with pace
- Inject a restlessness to win and unlock capacity to decide and act quickly
- Demand brilliant execution to ensure we always win at the point of purchase
Shape the Future – Create focus and ownership for shaping Diageo’s future ambition
- Enable others to imagine the future and be brave to act boldly now
- Set context and empower people to experiment and unlock opportunities for growth
- Demand diverse external perspectives and trends that create impetus for change
- Insist on sufficient data and insights that quickly move us to action
Inspire through Purpose – Amplify our purpose internally and externally
- Create meaning, pride and belief for others through Diageo’s purpose
- Inspire teams to take entrepreneurial risks; encourage and recognise learning
- Build trust and respect in Diageo through open and honest relationships
- Celebrate frequently the impact of living our purpose
Invest in Talent – Harness the full extent of Diageo’s talent and diversity
- Take bold bets on talent underpinned by rigorous assessment
- Build and coach diverse teams to unlock performance and growth
- Create an inclusive environment where everyone can be at their best
- Instill agility and resilience in our teams
Purpose of Role
To own and develop the Procurement strategies for all the categories in Guinness Ghana taking into account the specific market dynamics and business requirements.
To deliver maximum benefit and significant profit growth for Guinness Ghana within Supply, Demand and Indirects categories of spend (minimum 3% year-on-year cost savings), through leadership, design and implementation of innovative and forward thinking category strategies, whilst maintaining rigorous standards of risk management, ethics and compliance to all key Diageo policies at all times.