Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Community Development Officer I
About This Role
- To provide support in the coordination of the Newmont Ahafo North dnation requests and support the implementation of Livelihood Reestablishment interventions for project affected persons/ community development initiatives, with a key focus on agricultural improvement, and broader community initiatives.
In This Role You Will:
- Assist in the implementation of the Community Development Strategic Plan and providing information to contractors, according to Newmont governance and regulatory requirements.
- Provide information for the development of the scope of work and the terms of reference that will govern the work.
- Assist in the identification of community development risks and lend support to the Coordinator in identifying and managing local risks.
Partnerships and Collaboration
- Assist in the needs assessments to enhance partnerships and collaboration.
- Participate in community development forums to ensure overall alignment and integration with the Newmont Sustainability & External Relation strategy.
- Support the promotion of tripartite (Newmont, government, communities) approach to implementing community development initiatives.
- Support the livelihood re-establishment programs for project affected persons, particularly the vulnerable peoples program.
- Assist in the coordination of employee participation in voluntary community development initiatives.
- Manage the Newmont Ahafo North donation process.
- Co-ordinate gender mainstreaming program (women consultative communities activities.)
- Facilitate the implementation of approved donations to recipients.
Compliance and Reporting
- Provide information for reports on community development projects and programmes, including performance against relevant targets and commitments.
- Assist in community development audits, by mobilizing stakeholders for meetings.
- Provide input for community development reports.
- Ensure compliance to Newmont Sustainability & External Relation standards.
Budgets and Payments
- Provide donation budget variance reporting to the Donations Committee.
- Provide support for the livelihoods budget preparation and implementation.
- Contribute to the zero harm goal of Ahafo North with focus on quality safety interactions, inspections, audits, risk assessments & impact mitigation and control systems.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- First Degree in Social Sciences, Community Development, Economics or a related discipline.
- Knowledge in guidance and counselling.
- Minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience working with NGO’s and Service Providers in Social Investment/Community Development.
- Advanced interpersonal skills (interacting with diverse functional and cultural backgrounds).
- Strong communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Strong planning, prioritizing and coordination skills.
- Strong reporting skills.
- Sound analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Sound conceptual skills.
- Sound consultation skills.
- Sound coaching and mentoring skills.
- Sound relationship management skills.
- Sound computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Cultural Sensitivity.
- Takes initiative.
- Honesty and Integrity.
- Goal orientated.
- High quality orientation.
- High level of transparency.
- Reliable and independent.
- Team Player.
- Incumbent’s work is with governmental institutions and stakeholders in six districts, travels to different mine impacted and non-impacted communities to work. Position holder also travels to work with other partners such as GIZ, Project CURE, OICI and other mines in Ghana.
- Engaging stakeholders, delivering charitable donations/packages and monitoring the work of consultants involves walking around project sites, and local communities.