Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Mine Manager
About The Role:
- Ensure technical excellence in areas of mining engineering, geotechnical engineering, geology, hydrology, surveying, maintenance, and general mining extraction methods in Ahafo North as well as supervision of the team.
- Accountable for the integration of the Ahafo North mine from a project phase into operations.
- To direct and manage the Mining Operation department in delivering a safe, profitable and sustainable business that contributes to the achievement of the Ahafo North Mine Site and the Africa Regional strategies.
- To empower all areas of the Mining Operation department to attain a world-class level whilst complying with the site’s goals of commitment, standards, and procedures in Safety, Environment and External Relations, and in line with Newmont policies.
- To lead and verify compliance to all the requirements of the Minerals and Mining Act 703 and the Minerals and Mining Regulations, including the Health, Safety, Technical, Explosives, Support Services, General, Compensation and Resettlement and Licenses regulations.
In This Role You Will:
Health and Safety
- Lead the Mining Operation’s team to achieve the total recordable injury frequency rate (TRIFR) objective as defined by Newmont.
- Direct the department’s compliance with the requirement of Government of Ghana Agencies, lending institutions, shareholders’ interests, environmental, health and safety legislation and company safety milestones.
- Actively promote safety and demonstrate a personal commitment to safety with the belief that all accidents are preventable and continually looking for opportunities to enhance site-based safety programs.
- Eliminate fatalities by implementing critical controls and verification prcesses.
- Verify the quality of pre-start meetings, SPE investigations and application of lessons learned.
- Reduce health exposures by implementing critical controls for key risks by developing and implementing exposure reduction plans.
- Develop the Mining Operation department’s business plans and initiatives, that is aligned with the Mine site’s and Africa Region’s strategy, business plans, objectives, initiatives and priorities, for a sustainable competitive advantage and submit to the Leadership Team and General Manager for approval.
- Lead the successful delivery of the Mining Operation department’s business plans and actively drive performance, inclusive of targets and operations, to guarantee medium and long-term success.
- Verify that the technical content of mine designs and plans comply with the Mine Safety and Inspection Act / Regulations.
- Drive and maintain a productivity (output-driven) and continuous process improvement culture by creating an environment for the employees to challenge the status quo.
- Drive year-over-year-improvement in cost management and other critical operational performance metrics.
- Participate in the planning, engineering, design, and implementation of projects that yield the best financial returns consistent with company standards for personnel safety and the environment.
- Develop and implement annual budgets and plans for Life of Mine and approve, monitor and control costs in all mining groups.
- Comply with company policy on capital spending and manage contractual obligations to achieve the best benefit for the company.
- Interact with the Process and other departments to develop long-term plans and budgets.
- Initiate projects and programmes that provide continuous improvement in the areas of safety, environment, production and efficiency.
- Establish monitoring systems to ensure that the expertise required to run the operations is passed on to all employees and that it is embedded in systems, policies and procedures.
- Coordinate the activities of operating groups to ensure the efficiency and productivity of the mining operation.
Additional Roles & Responsibilities:
- Initiate projects, programmes, accelerate potential expansions and explore growth opportunities that will achieve profitable and sustainable growth.
- Manage pre-feasibility and feasibility studies for new projects, due diligence and proper evaluation of new projects or acquisitions.
- Review and update policies and procedures, perform appropriate risk analysis / assessment in areas of budget planning, social responsibility and safety.
- Deliver value over volume feed blend to the Process plant.
- Establish operational and production targets and ensure the achievement of production objectives through the effective management of department material and manpower resources.
- Inform staff of the status and direction of the Mining Operation department with a view to obtaining their input.
- Build a shared vision and goals, facilitate effective interactions among group members, and work to remove barriers.
- Develop and lead an enabled, engaged, performancedriven and diverse Mining Operation team that works collaboratively with each other to achieve the department’s and Mine site’s business plans and objectives.
- Conduct workforce planning and develop staffing and localisation plans.
- Confirm that the Mining Operation team’s roles and responsibilities are clarified, performance objectives are set and managed, and performance reviews are conducted in accordance with policies and procedures and corrective actions taken where necessary.
- Identify, mentor and develop high potential professional staff.
- Identify critical skills essential for the sustainability of service delivery and confirm that a succession plan is in place and implemented for the leaders and all the other critical jobs within the Mining Operation department.
- Provide continuous and comprehensive professional and managerial training to staff to ensure that the team is capable enough to transfer to any region.
- Confirm that gender diversity targets are met and exceeded.
- Set an appropriate “tone at the top” that creates trust and acceptance of the Newmont values and direction throughout the Mining Operation at the site.
- Develop and drive a culture of integrity, ethics, compliance and speaking-up.
- Promote pro-active industrial relations and align union negotiations to business needs.
Sustainability and external relations
- Confirm that the operation is socially and environmentally responsible.
- Meet public targets on water, reclamation and community tonality.
- Build and maintain cohesive, trusting and mutually respectful relationships with governments, regulators, NGOs, media, communities and industries that enhance Newmont’s reputation and enable access, favorable treatment and good citisenship.
- Provide input into the Local Employment Management strategy for the Ahafo North Mine site and submit to the General Manager for approval.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mining Engineering or a related technical discipline plus a Mine Certificate of Competence issued by Inspectorate Division of the Minerals Commission of Ghana.
- A MBA or equivalent qualification (Optional).
- Substantial knowledge of gold mining or broader hard rock mining with an extensive understanding of regulations, permitting, risk, and projects.
- Substantial knowledge of Mine design, planning and scheduling, project management and operations of large-scale sites at mining / processing facilities.
- Substantial knowledge of the wide range of infrastructure systems required to support a remote site.
- Substantial knowledge of the transition of a mine project to a start-up mine.
- Substantial knowledge of health and safety, sustainability and productivity improvements in the mining industry.
- Substantial knowledge of developing and managing Corporate Social Responsibility programs in the mining industry.
- Substantial knowledge in working constructively with governments, communities, NGOs and special interest groups.
- Broad business knowledge and focus, ability to recognise issues, problems and capitalise on opportunities.
- At least 15 years’ experience in international mining environments with 6 years of senior mine management experience with multi-functional, broad-based management responsibilities, which should ideally include multi-site operations.
- Demonstrated successes in working collaboratively in multicultural teams in expatriate settings. Work in developing countries, specifically in West Africa preferred.
- A proven track record of delivering “safe” production.
- Leadership selection and assessment ensuring the right people are in the right roles, removing poor performers / leaders and identifying and developing key successors.
- A solid technical background is required: operational experience remains important because the Mine Manager of a site must be up to date with activities on sites and understand the risks and potential threats the sites face.
- Advanced Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook) and Technical Mining Applications skills.
- Budget control and financial analysis and management skills.
- Business acumen and commercial management skills.
- Business continuity management skills.
- Business planning and organising skills.
- Conflict and change management skills.
- Corporate governance, incident and risk management skills.
- Management, leadership, coaching and mentoring skills.
- Negotiation, networking and service management skills.
- Performance-driven management skills.
- Programme and project management skills.
- Strategic decision-making, problem-solving and thinking skills.
- Analytical thinking.
- Assertive, influential and persuasive.
- Conceptualisation and visionary.
- Credibility and integrity.
- Customer focused.
- Diversity management.
- Emotional intelligence.
- Environmental scan.
- Goal oriented, pro-active and reliable.
- Innovative and inspirational.
- Persistent and resilient.
- Results and quality driven / focused.
- Safety conscious.
- The position is located at Ahafo North Mine site and will travel nationally to the Regional office in Accra on a regular basis.
- Extended and unpredictable hours is the norm.