Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Job Title: Support Equipment Maintenance Supervisor
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To supervise and coordinate maintenance of support equipment to ensure that operational and production plans are realized. To lead and support mechanics and electricians in the delivery of maintenance work to ensure that specifications are met, and objectives are achieved in a safe, effective and efficient manner
Essential Duties I
- Manage adherence of maintenance to all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values.
- Provide input into the preparation of maintenance operating cost forecasts, budgets and monthly maintenance reports.
- Organize, distribute and coordinate all auxiliary equipment and light vehicle maintenance works at the mine areas to support all of the activities assigned to mine maintenance, including planning
- Assist in the implementation of auxiliary equipment and light vehicle maintenance plans to ensure maximum availability of auxiliary equipment and light vehicles at optimum cost.
- Oversee auxiliary equipment and light vehicle maintenance work in all mining areas.
- Provide technical support when major works are carried on any of the equipment / vehicles.
- Oversee condition monitoring, PM based backlog collection and monitoring systems as well as quality improvement monitoring.
- Provide effective on-the-job training and coaching to ensure employees gain new skills and achieve their maximum potential.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities and ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Produce various reports (progress reports, incident reports jobs etc and submit the report to the General Foreman.
Essential Duties II
- Conduct periodic safety meetings and inspections.
- Attend monthly safety inspection and meetings.
- Supervise allocated staff member(s) by:
- Providing on-the-job training, mentoring and coaching.
- Performing the first level of performance appraisal.
- Recommending further / relevant training courses and development actions.
- Recommending salary increases or promotions for staff.
- Disciplining poor performance or actions (first level of disciplinary).
- approving leave (first signature) and
- Enhancing communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings, etc.
The above duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
- Degree or HND in mechanical / electrical engineering or Engineering Technician III.
- MINCOM certification as Sectional Engineer
- Obtain Ghanaian driving license class C or CE
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in mechanical / electrical maintenance or similar environment
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a supervisory role.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards for auxiliary equipment and light vehicles.
- Advanced knowledge of the work management process, planning and scheduling
Position is located in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job:
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is occasionally required to work in confined spaces and at heights.
- Work environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment.
- Protective equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to the working conditions.