Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To conduct the safe troubleshooting, replacement, repair, testing and general maintenance of mechanical equipment and systems, according to mechanical codes and specifications, to optimize plant processing and production.
Job Title: Process Maintenance Mechanical Technician
- Deliver own prescribed outcomes and / or provide support services, by applying Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environment systems, policies and protocols.
- Execute on mechanical maintenance tasks for completion, arising out of schedules received from the Mechanical Supervisor.
- Troubleshoot technical and / or operational problems.
- Conduct in-depth investigations into faults affecting equipment operations and process flows.
- Test repaired equipment to determine the extent of effective functioning.
- Provide practical and technical assistance relevant to the trade to the Mechanical Supervisor.
- Conduct thorough shift handover, detailing all relevant information for the incoming crew.
- Work with the Mechanical Supervisor to maintain optimal mechanical performance of the Process Plant.
- Participate in continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the Ahafo Process Plant operation.
- Contribute to the development of Standard Task Procedures (STP’s).
- Maintain an understanding of monthly production targets and progress.
- Strive to reduce downtime and minimise costs.
- Analyse specified problems and issues to find the best technical solutions within OEM specifications, and in accordance with local standards.
- Undertake mechanical maintenance including:
- Overhauling of different types of pumps, gearboxes and other equipment.
- Conducting change-outs of mill motors and associated bearings.
- Conducting routine equipment running checks.
Training & Experience
- Diploma or relevant certification in Mechanical Engineering.
- Knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Knowledge of the work management process.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Minimum of 3 – 4 years’ experience in a mining process plant or similar environment.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Sound communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Sound computer literacy skills (SAP, MS Word, Outlook and other Windows applications).
- Position is located in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to work in confined spaces and will be exposed to extreme vibration.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee is frequently exposed to noise more than 85 decibels, and to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc. The incumbent will regularly lift heavy materials and / or operate heavy machinery.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask.