Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health, and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Geology Technician I
To lead the Sampling crews in the measurement and interpretation of data taken from sampling activities (i.e. field sample collections and submissions) to support the generation of Ore Control dig polygons for mining.
- Delegate work to Samplers to perform various daily sampling activities (i.e. Blast Hole, Trenches, Grab).
- Operate Light Vehicles for sampling activities and Ditch Witch machine for cutting sample trenches.
- Ensure sampling pegs are kept in their right positions and labeled for easy after drill pick-ups by survey.
Grade Control Geologist Support
- Assist the Grade Control Geologist in the day-to-day in-pit geological activities (i.e. fixing of ore mark out, blasthole logging, blast movement installation and monitoring, etc.).
Data Collection and Quality Control
- Ensure all sampling data is captured on sample submission sheet.
- Assist in the capturing of all geological field data (core drilling, RC drilling, blasthole, density, grab samples, mapping, moisture content etc.).
Environment, Health and Safety Management
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his/her supervision.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities and ensuring that safe work practices are followed.
- Oversee that the Samplers complete all allocated tasks assigned on a shift.
- Ensure effective communication among the sampling team.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Senior High School Certificate.
- Previous knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs and other techniques for maximising the output of samples is advantageous.
- Minimum of 2 – 3 years’ relevant work experience in a Mine Production / Geology environment.
- Sound communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Sound computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Sound troubleshooting skills.
- Sound coordination and delegation skills.
- Sound information monitoring and management skills.
- Sound planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Attention to Detail.
- Continuous Learning.
- Critical Thinker.
- Goal Oriented.
- Safety Conscious.
Work conducted by the position is site-centered.
- Incumbent works mostly in the pit where they are exposed to broken rocks on the pit floor due to blasting
- Incumbent is exposed to dust and noise from drill rigs and mining activities in the pit.
- Incumbent is exposed to moving rigs and other machinery in the pit.
- Incumbent has to work on a shift basis and may include night duties
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.