Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Underground Tool Store Technician
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
• To provide an efficient tool and equipment management service for the underground maintenance team, to ensure all tools and equipment are maintained in a safe and fit for purpose condition.
• To manage the repair and replacement of faulty and defective tools and equipment and to ensure that all consumables are replenished in a timely manner.
• Ensure that waste generated by Subika Underground maintenance in and around the workshop is segregated and disposed of as required.
• To oversee the safe operation of the lifting equipment and tool stores and ensure they are kept in a clean and tidy condition.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
• Daily issuing of tools, portable machines and equipment.
• Manage and arrange tools and equipment in the tool store and lifting equipment store.
• Follow up on the return of all items checked out from the lifting equipment and tool store.
• Ensure tools are always clean, safe to use, in good condition and fit for purpose.
• Ensure that consumables stocked in tool store are replenished as needed.
• Periodic and proper accountability of tools to supervisor
• Ensure that tools and PPE are held to acceptable levels.
• Assists in the receiving and unpacking of goods
• Loads and unloads materials or equipment for receipt and dispatch.
• Ensure all defective and faulty tools and equipment are tagged.
• Repair or arrange to have repaired damaged or worn tools, discard tools that are not feasible to repair and report to supervisor.
• Ensure the tool and equipment stores are kept clean and hazard free. Keep the workshop yard area clean and free of rubbish.
• Engrave parts numbers and ID on equipment
• Maintain workshop floor.
• Raise notifications for corrective work
• Make reservations for consumables and distribute them
• Make grease lines from reusable fittings and fabric hoses
• Perform general trade assistance duties as directed.
3. General Duties
• Operate heavy equipment (e.g. forklift) as and when directed.
• Ensure tool and equipment storage containers are kept clean and organized.
• Other cleaning jobs as directed.
• Other tasks or duties within the individual’s skill set as directed by their supervisor.
4. Audits and checks
• Check and ensure that periodic inspection and tagging of all tools and equipment is carried out as required.
• Assist with the audit of tools issued to tradesman.
• Ensure accurate and effective tools record keeping is maintained, both manually and electronically.
• Conduct equipment and tooling auditing as required
• Maintain an accurate tool and equipment register.
• Provide weekly and monthly reports on damaged, broken and missing tools.
• Other reporting as directed
6. Health, Safety and Environment
• Accept personal responsibility for health and safety.
• Attend safety meetings.
• Adhere and comply to all stipulated Maintenance control regulations.
• Ensure all tool store operations are in compliance with safety requirements promoting the company’s safety culture.
YOUR TRAINING, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE CHECKLIST:
• A minimum of technical and vocational Trade Certificate.
• Knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
• Knowledge of the work management process.
• Knowledge of planning and scheduling.
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in mechanical engineering field or heavy industry.
• Ability to identify tools.
• Must be computer literate.
• Have good organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Must demonstrate a positive attitude and strong, dedicated work ethics.
• Knowledge of ISO procedures – relevant to department.
• Analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Safety Conscious.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
• Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
• Physical demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be required to work in confined spaces.
• Work environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment machinery and equipment.
• Protective equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to working conditions.