Newmont Mining Corporation Jobs 2020
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry-leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Blasting Supervisor
To coordinate, direct and lend technical support to all on-site blasting activities, in a safe manner, and coordinate resource allocations to effectively complete the activities
- Execute and oversee short & long-term mine blasting plans.
- Send all blasting requisition requests to the General Foreman for review and obtain sign-off from both the General Foreman and Mine Manager
- Schedule & supervise all blasting activities, by overseeing and evaluating works-in-progress and assure that all activities meet specifications, codes and regulations.
- Provide technical guidance and transfer of knowledge to the blast crew through active coaching and mentoring.
- Analyze daily blasting production and cost data to confirm that the department is operating within overall blasting production and budget forecasts.
- Assess and continually improve current blast processes.
- Report all accidents and incidents occurring in the shift to the General Foreman – Drill and Blast
- Liaise with the Training Department to arrange the receipt of training schedules and times for the national workforce.
- Adhere strictly to internal Newmont health and safety standards.
- Liaise with various Ghanaian government authorities to assure that all national codes and standards are met and complied with in assigned blasting activities.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Mine / Civil Engineering, Geology
- Mine Foreman Certificate.
- Knowledge of various explosive types and blasting accessories.
- Minimum of 4 years’ blasting experience in large open pit mining environments, of which at least 2 years’ experience should be in a shift supervisory capacity.
- Experience in electronic detonation.
- Advanced planning, organizing and management skills.
- Strong technical communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), MS Project.