Newmont Goldcorp Corporation Jobs 2019
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Job Title: Geotechnical Engineer
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry-leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To provide geotechnical expertise regarding mine design, schedule and ground support for all planning horizons with the objective of safe stable mining operations.
- Evaluate and propose optimum geotechnical engineering solutions for problematic situations which threaten the achievement of planned objectives.
- Assess geotechnical risks and develop mitigation plans.
- Prepare monthly geotechnical reports which includes quality of installation and performance of ground support along with technical review of all mine planning horizons.
- Contribute to statutory reporting activities related to ground support.
Contribute towards budget preparation activities for the geotechnical team which include ground management review of the proposed business plan
Safety Health and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ degree in Civil, Mining or Geological Engineering
- Preferred knowledge of Mine design software, Dips, Unwedge, Phase2, Map3D programmes
- Previous undergraduate experience in hardrock underground metalliferous mining environment
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Safety Conscious.
- Results Driven.
- Potential for hazardous conditions exists in underground mines and the incumbent must be familiar with them.
- Potential for adverse environmental conditions exists in some locations.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.