Miro Forestry Vacancies 2020 – Jobs in Ghana
Miro Forestry (“Miro”) is a sustainable plantation forestry business with operations in Ghana and Sierra Leone, establishing commercial forests for the production of wood products.
Miro is one of West Africa’s leading plantation forestry businesses, employing over 1,500 people, operating high quality plantations while preserving ecological environments and supporting local employment and community development.
Miro is in the process of commencing a commercial smallholder outgrower program offering the opportunity to local community members to develop woodlots for sale into the Miro supply chain to build long term economic sustainability and improve livelihoods. Miro is seeking a dynamic social facilitation and extension officer to lead this exciting initiative.
Job Title: Social Facilitation and Extension Officer
- Leadership: Develop and build a sustainable outgrower project learning from pilots and adapting to social, climatic and economic environments
- Direction: Understand the facts, listen to key stakeholders and communicate objectives clearly, concisely and consistently
- Alignment: Act within clearly defined roles, responsibilities and expectations, and think and act in ways that benefit both Growers and Miro teams
- Commitment: Be consistent in what we say and do, clearly linking strategy to decision-making and performance
- Develop: Build and develop Grower and team capabilities
- Contribute to the Company’s raw material supply and Grower development strategy with a view towards long-term growth, Grower relationship development and sustainability
- Provide support and oversight to the Outgrower schemes, ensuring timely development and activities.
- Ensure stability, good governance and effective operations in Grower models and organisations
- Ensure technical competence of Growers in forestry management and supplementary food crop
- Ensure adherence to the Supply Agreement between Miro and the Growers and compliance to FSC requirements
- Ensure long term, sustainable Grower relationships by holding the function accountable to the highest standards of stakeholder engagement, relationship management and social capital development
- Leverage available support from the Miro group and external stakeholders
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement throughout Grower development
- Keep abreast of and explore opportunities for innovation and growth in Grower Social Facilitation (community mobilisation, relationship management, institutional management, etc.)and Grower livelihood enhancement.
- Adhere to safety standards and promote world class safety practices
- Build engaged and resilient neighbouring communities.
- Develop a long term raw material supply plan that reflects mill capacity and demand; refreshing the plan at appropriate intervals and ensuring initiatives are in place to deliver on the plan strategy
- Implement the Grower model framework, defining the support and services available / provided to each segment
- Monitor the grower pilot projects, capturing what works and what does not to reflect in future iterations.
- Working with the forestry department, provide technical training and management support to Growers
- Facilitate legal and financial compliance of Grower Cooperatives or organisational bodies
- Support in developing and implementing policies, budgets, governance structures and administrative routines in Grower Cooperatives or organisational bodies
- Develop strong leadership and talent within Grower Cooperatives or organisational bodies through ongoing coaching, mentoring and guidance
- Champion and embed company and FSC standards and processes for identifying and securing land for Grower schemes, supporting the Grower ecosystem, managing Grower relationships and managing Grower supply.
- Drive synergies with the company and external stakeholders, effectively partnering with counterparts to identify, share and embed opportunities for optimisation of grower and community engagement
- Manage relationships with individual Growers, Cooperative leaders and officers, key community stakeholders including traditional leaders and local government
- Ensure enablers are in place to promote success (e.g. systems and processes)
- Identify and monitor KPIs to track performance and flag any issues
- Documentation: Be responsible for and maintain the Grower sections of the Company document system on Dropbox.
- Management and Leadership; Collaborate with all other departments aiming to foster a collaborative, cross departmental, approach and collaboration toward common targets
- Financial management: Manage and produce annual budgets for the grower department / job function. Take responsibility for operating with agreed budgets.
- The successful candidate will work within the forestry department reporting to the Forestry Manager whilst liaising closely with the Social Manager and Community Liaison Officers.
- Social Science Degree / Agricultural/Forestry Degree
- 5+ years experience in social facilitation or extension
- Understanding of smallholder agriculture or forestry development
- Understanding of local social and legal environments, experienced in interpreting and applying legislation to community organisations
- Competent computer and technology skills
- Experienced in establishing governance and administrative routines and ways of working
- Experience in working with communities and vulnerable groups, specifically women and youth.
- Women are especially encouraged to apply
- The ability to drive a vehicle or ride a motorbike will be an advantage
- Applicants must have a right to reside and work in Ghana.
The position will be located at the company’s Drobonso operation, Asante Akyem Agogo (Ashanti Region), Ghana, although extensive travel into local communities will be required.
This is a full time role of 40 hours per week. Standard working hours are 07.30 – 16.30 although additional hours may be required during times of high workload.
How to Apply
Interested parties should send their curriculum vitae and covering letter to: [email protected]
Closing date: Friday 31st January 2020.