Mine Maintenance Superintendent at Newmont Mining Corporation – Jobs in Ghana
Are you an employer looking to recruit qualified candidates? Post Premium Jobs Today.
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To lead the Mine Maintenance department, assuming overall responsibility for personnel, budget and resource management.
- Ensuring the availability of equipment and plant, including the heavy and light vehicle equipment fleet in order to achieve maximum production in a safe, efficient and cost-effective manner.
In This Role You Will
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to the Mine Maintenance functions within the mine area.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures that result in optimum effectiveness, productivity and operating cost.
- Manage input to the Business Planning process.
- Take appropriate measure to ensure that Risks (business, safety, environmental, health, etc.) impacting the Mine Maintenance operations are managed to the required standard / level.
- Review the use of reliability analysis tools including reliability centered maintenance optimization, defect elimination and Root Cause Analysis.
- Ensure all equipment is properly serviced and maintained; responsible for all owner and contract maintenance personnel supporting the mining effort.
- Prepare work schedules and ensure that the mine equipment is run to give the best economic return between equipment longevity and throughput.
- Coordinate all maintenance activities with other departments’ maintenance plans for plant and equipment to ensure production requirements are met.
- Write AFE’s for capital expenditure that will improve operations, reduce cost or improve efficiencies.
- Appropriately manage the capital program for the Mine Maintenance section.
- Manage Mine Maintenance budgeting and cost control for a number of Cost Centers, performing capital evaluation of projects, and producing management reports.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your Training & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s Degree / Diploma in Mechanical / Mine Engineering.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards, work management process.
- Advanced knowledge of planning and scheduling, maintenance plant and equipment.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in mechanical maintenance (ideally at General Foreman level), with a minimum of 3 years in gold mining operations.
- Minimum of 10 years’ management and supervisory experience, managing a large group of diverse employees, both staff, hourly-paid and contractors.
- Experience managing a budget and resources for a large and complex department.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), MS Project and Ellipse.
- Position is located at our Akyem mine.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
- Protective equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to the work environment.