Metallurgist at Newmont Mining Corporation – Jobs in Ghana
Are you an employer looking to recruit qualified candidates? Post Premium Jobs Today.
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
This position has supervisory responsibility for the metallurgical laboratory and its functions and assists in other metallurgical engineering functions
- Accept personal responsibility for healh and safety of every mine worker under or assigned to his/her supervision
- Manage the metallurgical laboratory and its functions and complete monthly report
- Conduct/Supervise laboratory test work and investigations ( routine and non-routine ), and produce reports as appropriate
- Produce Process Plant Production Daily Report and weekly Reagents Report
- Assist in resolving problems that affect the efficiency of the CIL Plant
- Relieve other Metallurgists when they proceed on annual leave
- Monitor and ensure compliance with Contract Assay Laboratory established procedures and the quality assurance methods
- Coach and provide technical assistance/training to plant operators, Metallurgical Laboratory Assistants, National Service Personnel, and students on attachment on sampling , and other relevant plant operator functions
- Conduct Planned Task Observations on Metallurgical Assistants
- Conduct monthly audit on assay laboratory activities and report as appropriate
- Ensure the planning and implementation of preventive maintenance programs to maximize efficiency and cost effectiveness of laboratory equipment
- Ensure completion of follow-up and corrective actions assigned to the metallurgical and assay laboratories
Training & Experience
- Degree in Extrative Metallurgy or equivalent
- 3 years or more of the field of experience in metalurgical methods
- Knowledge and understanding of statutory regulations relevant to safety and the environment for the mining industry
- Working knowledge of budget and cost control in the process environement
Skills and Abilities
- High level of communication skills – Verbal and written
- High level of PC skills and computer literacy