Low Emission Development Strategy (LEDS) Team Lead, Ghana
POSITION TITLE: LEDS Team Lead
LOCATION: Accra, Ghana
UNIT: Forestry and NRM Unit
REPORTS TO: FNRM Director, and dotted line to prime contractor’s Chief of Party
Winrock International is seeking highly qualified candidates for a new USAID-funded West Africa Biodiversity and Low Emission Development program aimed at achieving meaningful and sustained reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from West Africa’s forestry-land use sector. The position will be based in Accra, Ghana with travel to the project sites across Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea and Cote D’Ivoire
The person will be responsible for helping identify, establish, implement and monitor REDD+ activities in in West Africa. He/she will work in close collaboration with the project leadership in Accra, Winrock’s home office, and field-based LEDS staff. The expert will mobilize field teams, monitor on-the-ground performance, coordinate with partner organizations, and ensure achievement of project results under this objective. The position will require frequent travel to field location sites within the project area.
- Help conduct feasibility studies for potential REDD+ demonstration sites;
- Help in designing the interventions as well as implementation and monitoring of field-based activities
- Building relationship with key stakeholders working on REDD at the National level and partners at the local level
- Implement technical activities related to REDD+
- Supervise REDD+ activities and pilot projects;
- Timely preparation and submission of reports and other deliverables;
- Provide awareness raising as necessary to partners, beneficiaries, and counterparts;
- Advise on the four pillars of REDD+ including establishment of National Forest Monitoring Systems (NFMS); REDD+ Strategy; Safeguards and Forest Reference Levels.
- Conduct data review and analysis related to REDD+ including measuring reporting and verification (MRV) mechanisms;
- Completes other tasks as assigned by the Winrock Team.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- Master’s Degree in Ecology, Natural Resource Management, Forestry or relevant international development field.
- At least seven years of relevant technical experience in forestry, forest carbon, carbon accounting, climate change mitigation, REDD+, CDM, and natural resource management projects, preferably in West Africa.
- Demonstrated and proven record working in a multidisciplinary team under changeable and complex circumstances.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Fluency in English, French proficiency required.
- Computer literacy, specifically in Microsoft Word and Excel, is required.
Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted.