Chirano is located in southwestern Ghana, approximately 100 kilometres southwest of Kumasi, Ghana’s second largest city. The mine is within the Bibiani gold belt and consists of 11 deposits. Open pit and underground ore are processed at the Chirano plant. The capacity of the mill is approximately 3.5 million tonnes per annum. Processing involves crushing, ball mill grinding, leaching, and CIL.
Job Title: Principal Operations Engineer
Provide coordination, direction, support and where necessary supervision to support the underground activities of the Technical Services Department. Provide these expertise while facilitating the training and mentoring of employees, to develop and build their skills and abilities.
- Act as a change agent and project sponsor for key initiatives; model organizational values, sets the cultural tone, and prioritizes business goals
- Collaborate with management to identify and analyze business requirements and the implications for the team; identifies gaps and implements agreed upon solutions
- Develop and implement business practices within mine operations that align with the organization’s overall strategy
- Assist with LOM plan in accordance with Ghanaian Government and Kinross requirements
- Assist with annual mine development plan for compliance with Ghanaian Government and Kinross requirements
- Work with the mine planning team and other units in the Technical Services Department to deliver mine plans and financial forecasts in alignment with the organization’s overall strategy
- Manage work assignment of Operations engineers and drill and blast QA/QC personnel.
- Manage execution of underground projects, prepare project execution planning, budgeting, and assists in procurement and in providing technical specifications
- Coordinate with the Underground Mine Captains and U/G Managers for daily, weekly and monthly development heading priorities, ensure KPI’s for u/g development are being met
- Lead through operational production coordination the activities required to ensure compliance with plans and schedules and ensuring the operational targets are met.
- Assist shift bosses, mine foremen with operational strategy, short term planning, identifying and prioritizing mining activities.
- Work closely with mine foremen, mine captains and shift bosses to achieve weekly and monthly production targets through coaching on priorities
- Ensure that all members of the Technical Services team have clear understanding and direction of Project objectives by leading and controlling the coordination of regular planning meetings, ensuring deliverables are accurately recorded and distributed
- Assist with the setting of performance targets and measures, monitors, and manages overall performance
Education and Experience
- BSc in Mining Engineering or related qualification
- Minimum of 10 years of related work experience
- Good working knowledge and experience in underground mine engineering
- In depth understanding of underground mining methods, ground control methods, blasting techniques, ventilation design, mine design, short term mine planning, iterative long term mine planning, mining production tracking,
- Proficiency with mining software (GMPs), advanced use of excel and AutoCAD
- A working knowledge of surveying methods in underground mines, geology, reserve modelling and block modelling, and rock mechanics
- Experience with Xeras software is desirable
- Strong engineering skills, a working knowledge of surveying, basic geology modelling, , geostatistical modelling techniques, mine equipment capabilities, and production rates
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to work independently
- Strong analytical mindset and attention to detail
- Consistently seeking opportunities to improve processes, systems and tools
- Must be prepared to sit and obtain Chief Mining Manager certificate of competency from the Minerals Commission within 3 months of appointment
- Strong verbal, written, analytical skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management
- Business acumen
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.
Closing Date : 4 Oct, 2020