Job Vacancy For Physics Teacher – Current Jobs in Ghana
SOS-HGIC is a highly academic and very reputable International Senior Secondary Boarding School for the “best and brightest” students from SOS Children’s Villages across Africa together with students from the host nation, Ghana. Its motto is Knowledge in the Service of Africa and its ethos is rooted in providing an excellent pre-university education while nurturing students to use their leadership skills and diverse talents for the benefit of their local communities and for Africa. SOS-HGIC is thus a unique school, comprising the 4-years of pre-university education, and offering two years of the International Baccalaureate’s Middle Years Programme (IB MYP), followed by 2 years of the IB Diploma Programme (IB DP) – which the school was the first to pioneer in Ghana in 1993.
The College was founded in 1990 by the President of SOS Kinderdorf International, which has over 500 SOS Children’s Villages worldwide, and primary, secondary and vocational schools all over the world. The College is its flagship pre-university institution and its students have graduated from such first-class institutions in the USA as Harvard, Princeton, Yale, MIT, Vassar and many others. Additionally, in Europe and the United Kingdom, students have graduated from the Universities of Bremen, Jacobs, Oxford, Edinburgh, UCL and Richmond etc. and within Africa, from the University of Cape Town, Wits University, Ashesi University, University of Ghana, Legon, the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, among others.
The College is headed by a Principal and two Vice Principals; the Principal is appointed by the Board and the Vice Principals are appointed by the Principal. The Job description below outlines the broad spectrum of the role of a Physics Teacher.
• To teach Physics in IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) and IB Diploma Programme (DP) levels in a way that will enable the students to gain a thorough knowledge of the subject and to pass both the internal and external examinations so that they are equipped to enter tertiary institutions or to pursue other avenues of learning or careers.
• To teach the students Physics/ Develop Lesson plans for the effective teaching of the courses assigned.
• To draw up a teaching programme / Scheme of work and Records of Work for the implementation of various syllabuses. • To supervise Student projects and Course work as well as the IB Extended Essays.
• To set and mark both classwork and internal examinations, including the Entrance Examinations.
• To Complete semester and other reports.
• To Support students in writing and keeping of student profiles and student recommendations.
• To Attend all Staff and Departmental meetings.
• To draw up lists of books and equipment required for the teaching of the subject for the Principal / Vice-Principal or Head of Department.
• To maintain discipline in and out of the classroom.
• To obtain ongoing training in the subject and syllabuses by attending workshops, courses etc.
• To monitor extra-curricular activities, community service and other school functions in and out of normal school hours.
• To perform any other duties as may be required by the Principal, for the benefit of the College.
• To foster, implement and uphold the objectives and philosophy of the College at all times.
• A graduate subject specialist with a teaching certification.
• A minimum of 5 years of teaching experience in a reputable institution is preferred although 3 years of experience under certain circumstances will be acceptable.
• Experience with the IB is essential and any knowledge of the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) and IB Diploma Programme (DP) syllabi will be a bonus.
• Dedication to the job, sound control and discipline in the classroom as well as good relations with students are the qualities looked for.
• Master’s Degree in Education, or related field,
• Strong IT skills
How To Apply For The Job
Your documents should include:
• A Cover Letter
• All copies of Certificates stated in your Resume
• Names, positions, the contact information of three referees (References will not be requested till finalists are determined)
• All application documents should be emailed to:
Closing Date: 26 April, 2021