Job Vacancy For Director of Finance
The Governing Council of the Kumasi Technical University announces the vacancy of Director of Finance and is seeking to recruit a suitably qualified person.
• Established in 1954 as Kumasi Technical Institute (KTI) to offer craft courses.
• Upgraded in 1963, to a non-tertiary Polytechnic under the Ghana Education Service to offer, Technician, Diploma and Sub-Professional courses.
• Upgraded to a Tertiary Polytechnic in 1992 by the Polytechnics Law 1992, PNDCL 321 to run Higher National Diploma (HND) programmes awarded by National Board for Professional and Technician Examinations (NABPTEX). . CA:taint-2d the mandat co aviarc: Degrees 6!”:0 other certificates accredited by the National Accreditation Board (NAB) by the enactment of the Polytechnics Act 2007, Act 745.
• Converted to a Technical University to provide higher education in engineering, applied sciences, applied arts, technology-based disciplines, technical and vocational training by the enactment of The Technical Universities Act 2016, Act 922.
• Envisions to he a centre of excellence for tertiary level training in technical and professional human resource with entrepreneurial skills.
• Currently has a staff strength of about 640 and a student population of over 10,000.
• The Director of Finance is a top management position and is the Head of the Finance Office of the University.
• Staff in this grade shall be required to show high qualities of sound judgment, initiative, resourcefulness, precision and professionalism in their area of specialization.
• He/She is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor in the discharge of his/her duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Finance:
• is the Chief Accounts Officer of the University and the Chief Financial Advisor to the Vice-Chancellor;
• has general responsibility for the administration of the financial affairs of the University that shall ensure its financial health and he/she exercises direct superintendence over all accounts officers;
• is responsible for collecting all legitimate revenue due the University; . exercises control over expenditure in line with the University’s objectives and budgets;
• has the duty of preparing the annual budget of the University for presentation to the appropriate governing body for approval and implementation;
• is also responsible for ensuring that the financial statements of the University are drawn up in accordance with the Technical Universities Act 2016, Act 922 (as amended by the Technical Universities Amendment Act 2018, Act 974), the Harmonised Statutes, applicable accounting standards and all other Regulations approved by the University as well as all other relevant national laws and regulations;
• liaises with the appointed external auditors to get the University’s financial statements audited.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Applicant must be a Chartered Accountant and hold a Masters degree in the relevant field. He/She must have served as a Deputy Director of Finance in a University or comparable grade in a similar institution/organisation for at least six (6) years. Applicant must be computer literate and be conversant with accounting software applications.
In addition, applicant must:
• be analytical, critical, result-oriented, innovative and visionary;
• possess hands-on ability to work independently;
• possess excellent communication, interpersonal and supervisory skills;
• be a good team player;
• possess strong IT skills and be familiar with current accounting software;
• be able to work under pressure to meet deadlines; and
• possess proactive business and commercial
• Show clear evidence of ability to hold schedule(s) without supervision.
Terms of Appointment
The Director of Finance shall hold office for a term of four (4) years, which should be completed before the statutory retirement age of sixty (60) years. He/She may be eligible for re-appointment for a further term of up to four (4) years only, provided that no part of the second term enters the compulsory retirement age.
The terms and conditions of the appointment shall be determined by the Governing Council of the University consistent with the Technical Universities Act 2016, Act 922 (as amended by Act 974), and the Statutes of Kumasi Technical University.
The salary and Conditions of Service attached to this position are very attractive and are comparable to those in analogous public universities in Ghana.
How To Apply For The Job
Applicant must submit a Sealed Application Letter to the Registrar of the University.
• Applicant must attach a Curriculum Vitae, including names and addresses of three (3) referees who can attest to his/her qualities.
• Applicant must include a short statement of not more than four pages (Times New Roman size 12 and 1.5 line spacing) outlining his/her vision and strategies for the position.
• Application must be hand-delivered to the Registrar of the University (signing for submission shall be required) or submitted using a registered mail to reach the address below (as applicable) not later than Friday, 24th April, 2020.
Search Committee for Director of Finance
c/o Office of the Registrar
Kumasi Technical University
P. O. Box 854
Or email to:
Closing Date: 24 April, 2020
Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted