Job Vacancy For Communication and Media Relations Specialist – Current Jobs in Ghana
CARE is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. Our mission around the world is to save lives, defeat poverty and achieve social justice.
Our Core Values describe who we are, what we do, and how we do it.
We believe in urgent action, innovation, and the necessity of transformation – within the world and our own organization.
We are accountable to the people and partners we humbly serve, transparently sharing our results, stories and lessons.
We know that by embracing differences, actively including a variety of voices, and joining together we can solve the world’s most complex problems.
We believe in the equal value of every human being and the importance of respecting and honoring each individual; we know that change happens through people.
We challenge ourselves to the highest levels of learning and performance, tapping the best of human spirit to create impact.
Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere, Inc. doing business as CARE International in Ghana (“CARE”) is seeking qualified candidates for a role of Communications and Media Relations Specialist for Ghana’s Strengthening Accountability Mechanisms (GSAM) Project. GSAM is a USAID sponsored local governance project seeking to “strengthen citizen oversight of MMDA development programs to improve local government transparency, accountability, and social service delivery performance in 50 Districts of Ghana. The full-time position will be based at Accra with extensive travel to operational districts in all 16 regions to support project events/activities.
The Communications and Media Relations Specialist will lead the delivery of communications and outreach strategy of the GSAM project and also support other project activities. S/he will maintain effective communication systems and channels at National, Sub-national and among the consortium members (CARE and ISODEC). The incumbent will produce and disseminate tailored content targeting the GSAM Activity’s stakeholders including MMDAs, CSOs, and citizens. S/he will also develop key messages and partnerships with community radio stations and other local media. In addition, s/he will provide required communications inputs to project reporting, manage and maintain the project’s communication portal/platforms.
The Communications and Media Relations Specialist will report directly to the Chief of Party who will be based at the Country Office at Accra.
Key areas of responsibility of the Communications and Media Relations Specialist will include:
• Managing and coordinating all communication related activities under GSAM- update and implement the Communication Strategy for the GSAM Activity outlining what needs to be communicated and with whom. Lead the production and dissemination of information and communication materials on the project’s successes and learnings to the project’s stakeholders including citizens, CSOs, MMDAs, USAID and other relevant state institutions. Spearhead the publicity of the project via social media and promote engagement with the project’s online audience. Will also work with the M&E team to prepare quarterly and annual donor progress reports by providing the required communications inputs into project reporting.
• Ensuring adherence to the GSAM branding and marking Plan – maintain consistency in branding of all project materials and events in line with the project’s branding and marking plan. Develop and maintain a GSAM multi-media library, including photos and videos, for use across a range of communications platforms. Lead the development of “how to do manual” to document processes and frameworks of the GSAM Social Accountability Methodology.
• Leading media engagement and protocol relations of GSAM- Lead the project’s media relations activities, including supporting partners to engage effectively with the media (print and electronic). Develop appropriate media contacts and work with journalist to provide prominence and visibility of the GSAM Activity. Support media capacity building efforts by strategic partners to ensure media plays a lead role in local governance issues across the project districts. Work with the Advocacy specialist to manage the design and dissemination of advocacy materials, including publications, press releases, special radio and TV infomercials, public service announcements, and other types of programming.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum qualification of Bachelor’s Degree in Development Communications, Public Relations, or relevant program.
• At least 5 years of working experience in communication within the NGO sector on a Donor project preferably USAID. A Masters’ Degree would be an added advantage.
• Experience in organizational communication management, learning and creating a culture of knowledge management and communication,
• Experience working with local government authorities, USAID, NGOs, and communities
• Strong experience and knowledge of approaches to M&E and gender-sensitive approaches
• Proven experience with press outreach and media relations
• Experience using design, photo-editing, and video editing tools would be an added advantage.
• Understanding of advocacy and lobbying, particularly directed at Governments and institutions, and how they contribute to achieving campaign goals.
• Practical experience with using data to generate change stories to educate and market the achievements of the project through newsletters, success stories, etc.
• Proven ability to analyze and communicate complex information to a wide audience.
• Excellent written and oral communication in English, reporting, facilitation, and representation skills with the ability to represent CARE at a strategic level and in and high-profile environments.
• Experience in building capacity of project teams on media and communication standards and practices
• Ability to facilitate learning and knowledge management.
How To Apply For The Job
Submit applications via email to:
[email protected] with the “Communication and Media Relations Specialist” in the subject line.
• Applications will be reviewed and shortlisted on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
• Closing date for submission of applications is Friday, 30th October 2020.
• Applicants should be aware that CARE has zero tolerance for fraud and corruption, and toward any kind of harassment, exploitation and abuse.
Closing Date: 30 October, 2020
At CARE, we know that recruiting and retaining a talented and diverse workforce is critical to achieving our mission of ending global poverty. CARE defines “diversity” beyond the regular classifications of gender, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age and disability, and includes diversity of perspectives that uphold CARE’s core values. Our goal is to create and maintain a work environment that promotes diversity in everything we do. We are also committed to creating and maintaining a safe work environment for our staff, partners and beneficiaries with specific attention to protection from sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child protection.
OUR DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH; WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS AND EXPERIENCES, PARTICULARLY WOMEN, TO APPLY