Job Vacancy For Applications Development Manager – Current Jobs in Ghana
The University of Ghana hereby invites applications from suitably qualified persons within the University for the position of Applications Development Manager.
POSITION: APPLICATIONS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
REPORTING TO: HEAD OF UNIT, ADMINISTRATIVE COMPUTING
SUPERVISES: Programmers, Business Systems Support Engineers And Analysts
• To design, develop, create or customize software or specialized software tools and utilities with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency for the achievement of the objectives of the University
• Document business requirements using formalism such Unified Modelling Language (UML) or other object-oriented modeling tools;
• Coordinate software system installation and monitor equipment functioning to ensure specifications are met;
• Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures, programming, and documentation;
• Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance;
• Obtain and evaluate information on factors such as reporting formats required, costs, and security needs to ensure optimum design;
• Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements;
• Write computer programs of higher complexity or with specific performance, connectivity or business logic requirements;
• Elaborate Enterprise Software and Hardware Architecture orientation and monitor compliance to design principles and guidelines;
• Supervise the work of programmers, technologists and technicians and other engineering and scientific personnel.
Qualification Required & Experience
The applicant must be a staff of the University of Ghana at the grade of at least, Principal ICT Assistant and:
• have a good first degree plus a Masters’ Degree in computer science, software/computer systems engineering, or equivalent;
• Minimum of five years working experience in a related programming environment;
• Certification in a programming tool/language is an advantage; and,
• have at least 10 years relevant post-second degree qualification experience.
Required knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
• Strong understanding of relational and conventional database technology, tools and techniques, standard operating systems, database products and needs, and performance tuning techniques;
• Requires a good knowledge of Unix and Database Management Systems (DBMS);
• Excellent knowledge of structured query language (SQL);
• A good knowledge of Oracle Weblogic server and Application Development Framework (ADF);
• Expertise in application development using oracle’s PL/SQL, Java Application Development, C++ and .Net Framework;
• Hands-on experience in programming;
• Ability to maintain a professional behaviour in all situations;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Ability to Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints;
• Excellent project management skills;
• Able to communicate well with stakeholders at all levels;
• Excellent planning, organising and presentation skills;
• Able to lead and work as part of a team, solution orientated, proactive and motivated with good time management skills;
• Multi-tasking to work on multiple projects at once required;
• Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records and meet or exceed institutional goals;
• Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; and,
• Ability to troubleshoot software and hardware issues.
• Analytical Thinking – Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
• Attention to Detail – Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
• Dependability – Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
• Integrity – The position requires a high level of integrity, as the position holder will be exposed to confidential and sensitive information.
• Innovation – Job requires creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems.
How To Apply For The Job
An applicant is required to submit the complete application pack to the
University of Ghana,
P. O. Box LG 25,
(Hard copy); or
[email protected] (Soft copy). The application pack should contain the following:
• Completed application form for Senior Administrative and Professional employees (UAB Form 1B) to be downloaded from the University’s website at: www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd;
• An up to date Curriculum Vitae;
• Copies of relevant educational and professional certificates; and,
• Two reference letters, at least one of which should be from a Head of Unit in the University of Ghana, with whom the applicant has worked.
The reference letters should, among others, include the following information on the candidate:
• Professional competence and work output
• Leadership abilities and sense of responsibility.
• General Contribution to the work of the University (or relevant organization)
• Interpersonal skills
• Any other relevant information
In compliance with COVID-19 protocols, we encourage all applicants to submit soft copies of their application packs to the Registrar through the approved email address.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted to participate in a selection process.
Closing Date: 23 November, 2020