Job ad Ghana : Research Officer, ONE-Ghana project, Ghana
About ONE-Ghana Programme
The UK Department for International Development in Ghana (DFID Ghana) leads the UK’s efforts to reduce poverty in Ghana. DFID Ghana’s programmes currently focus on economic development, governance and human development. As Ghana moves towards self-reliance and DFID Ghana shifts its approach to supporting economic transformation and institutional strengthening, this programme will support the Government of Ghana to ensure the poorest and most vulnerable are not left behind.
The overarching objective of the ONE programme is to support people with disabilities and mental health, neurological and substance use conditions (MNS) to improve their health and wellbeing and ensure they are engaged, empowered and able to enjoy improved social and economic outcomes and rights. This will be achieved through four outcome areas, which align with Ghana’s (draft) National Mental Health Policy and Strategic Plan;
- Governance: Leadership, governance, policy and systems strengthening for mental health and leave no one behind.
- Services: Quality mental health services are scaled up to provide a balanced model of care in Ghana, integrated into primary health care and community-based rehabilitation; support – mental health and disability.
- Inclusion: Reduced stigma, discrimination and human rights violations; empowerment and capacity building of Disabled Peoples Organisations (to include grant making)
- Research: Applied knowledge and evidence base; Increase use of disaggregated data by disability status.
About this post
King’s College London (KCL) leads the operations research and capacity building component, and is seeking to hire a full-time Research Officer. The post-holder will work closely with the Operations Research and Global Learning Advisor (Ghana) (ORGLA), and have overall responsibility for the conduct of situation analyses for district mental health care plans, support the design of the district mental health care plans, and support Ghana Health Service district and regional health management teams with evaluation of district mental healthcare plans. The post is based in Accra, Ghana, and is for a starting appointment for one year, extendable by a further three and half years, starting from May, 2020 or as soon as possible.
- Coordinate the implementation of the programme for the KCL research team, including administration and financial management.
- Support the design of research protocols and tools necessary for the conduct of situation analyses.
- Conduct situation analysis on: a) community-based rehabilitation (CBR) initiatives in Ghana; b) mental health and disability research in Ghana.
- Conduct capacity building needs assessment in research capacity and priorities for development for mental health and disability.
- Supervise the implementation of data management protocols and monitor data quality.
- Develop a supervision system and supervise the data collection team who will conduct research fieldwork.
- Work with the ORGLA to identify pilot sites for implementation of district mental health plans.
- Work with ORGLA to implement and evaluate district mental health plans.
- Draft scientific reports for publication.
- Draft quarterly activity reports to the lead partner (Options UK).
- Other responsibilities that the team leader may assign.
Grade/salary: Attractive and commensurate with experience.
- Masters degree qualification in public health research methodology/global mental health/psychology/social science.
- Experience of at least 3 years in public health or mental health research.
- Strong experience in qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and data analyses.
- Competencies in data management and statistical analysis using appropriate analysis packages/software.
- Excellent English writing skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- High level of computer skills.
- Commitment to engage in extensive travel within Ghana.
- Commitment to be based in Accra for the entire duration of the programme.
- PhD in global mental health or public health
- Demonstrable track record of publishing research in peer reviewed academic journals.
Job criteria for job ad : Research Officer, ONE-Ghana project, Ghana
Health and social professions
R&D, project management
Health, pharmacy, hospitals, medical equipment
Research and development
|Number of Position(s)||:||1|