Job ad Ghana : Policy Lead, Tech for Development Unit
Focus of the Role
The technological revolution is the central issue for modern, progressive policymakers. Properly managed it can help build a better and more equal society for everyone. But achieving this vision requires a determined effort to understand the new reality, in order to resolve the new challenges arising from the internet era and accelerate the opportunities it presents.
Our Technology and Public Policy programme exists to help policymakers master the implications of the technology revolution and deliver progressive policy and strategy for the 21st century. This short deck explains more about the overall programme and our team culture.
Technology is closing off old pathways to development; but potentially opening up others. Countries that are quick to embrace tech have been able to make significant leaps, but there are yet to be any digital miracles equivalent to those in Asia at the turn of the last century. The Tech for Development Policy Unit develops practical proposals for how developing countries can apply technology to advance prosperity and improve peoples’ lives. Our work has a particular focus on closing the global digital divide and building out digital infrastructure, applying technology transform healthcare, education and other public services, and fostering tech innovation in key sectors like energy and agriculture.
The post holder will play a central role in our work to develop politically actionable policy and strategy, and to use this to influence the global policy debate. They will report to the Head of the Tech for Development Unit and work closely with other members of the Unit and the wider policy community at the Institute.
The key objectives for the role are:
- Establish distinctive, evidence-based policy positions on the role of technology to accelerate prosperity and improve peoples’ lives in the developing world
- Deliver a range of policy products that shape the global policy debate
- Promote our policy work with clear, effective and innovative communication
- Convene key players in policymaking and the tech sector to help drive real-world change
The post holder will:
- Be responsible for scoping and structuring programmes of work
- Be responsible for developing and delivering a range of policy products
- Build productive relationships with their stakeholders in tech and policy
- Speak about their work at public events and in the media
- Line manage senior policy analysts and / or policy analysts if required
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or equivalent practical experience
- 6+ years’ experience in public policy, consulting or relevant profession
- Proven ability to structure and solve complex policy problems
- A clear and confident communicator, both written and spoken
The following is also desirable:
- Experience working in a developing country on tech policy / projects
- A strong network in the tech sector in Africa and / or Asia.
Job criteria for job ad : Policy Lead, Tech for Development Unit
|Job category :|
|Employment type :|
Ashanti – Brong Ahafo – Central – Eastern – Greater Accra – Northern – Upper East – Upper West – Volta – Western
|Experience level :|
|Educational level :|
|Spoken language :|
|Number of Position(s) :||1|