Job ad Ghana : Policy Lead, Science & Innovation Unit
The technological revolution is the central issue for modern, progressive policymakers. Properly managed it can help build a better and more equal society for everyone. But achieving this vision requires a determined effort to understand the new reality, in order to resolve the new challenges arising from the internet era and accelerate the opportunities it presents.
Our Technology and Public Policy programme exists to help policymakers master the implications of the technology revolution and deliver progressive policy and strategy for the 21st century. This short deck explains more about the overall programme and our team culture.
Science and innovation are the fundamental forces that have driven every great advancement in the human condition and this Unit’s ambition is to develop a platform that will help drive the next one. We have a particular focus on deep tech and the frontier technologies that will be part of the solution to some of the greatest challenges we face today, including in health and energy. Ultimately, the drag from many parts of politics in these areas is weaker than the thrust of technology, but there is a deep need for policy to speed up and accelerate their development. We want to find ways to make this happen.
The post holder will play a central role in our work to develop politically actionable policy and strategy, and to use this to influence the global policy debate. They will report to the Head of the Science & Innovation Unit and work closely with other members of the Unit and the wider policy community at the Institute.
The key objectives for the role are:
- Identify interesting new ideas for how science and innovation can be applied to achieve policy goals, and develop a distinctive narrative around them
- Deliver a range of policy products that shape the policy debate around the world
- Promote our policy work with clear, effective and innovative communication
- Convene key players in policy, research and industry to help drive real-world change
The post holder will:
- Be responsible for scoping and structuring programmes of work
- Be responsible for developing and delivering a range of policy products
- Build productive relationships with their stakeholders in tech and policy
- Speak about their work at public events and in the media
- Line manage senior policy analysts and / or policy analysts if required
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or equivalent practical experience
- 6+ years’ experience in public policy, consulting or relevant profession
- Proven ability to structure and solve complex policy problems
- A clear and confident communicator, both written and spoken
The following is also desirable:
- Published material in science-focussed outlets and journals
- Practitioner experience in health, biotech or related fields
- Practitioner experience in the energy / climate / sustainability sectors
Job criteria for job ad : Policy Lead, Science & Innovation Unit
|Job category :|
|Employment type :|
Ashanti – Brong Ahafo – Central – Eastern – Greater Accra – Northern – Upper East – Upper West – Volta – Western
|Experience level :|
|Educational level :|
|Spoken language :|
|Number of Position(s) :||1|