Job ad Ghana : Mine Operations Lead
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About The Role:
- Liaise with the Ahafo North Mine Manager to direct and control the mining team and provide daily and long-term planning activities for mining.
- Provide effective leadership for the planning, development, and implementation of Newmont’s Business Excellence programs as it relates to Open pit operations.
- Provide subject matter expertise in support of Business Excellence (Standards & Sstandardization, Business Readiness and Continuous Improvement) efforts to safely increase performance resulting in decreased operating cost or improved revenue realization.
- Facilitate best practice sharing and knowledge management across sites and regions to capitalize on the strategic foundation of leveraging scope and scale, within the entire Newmont Open pit mining function globally.
In This Role You Will:
Lead, Develop and Execute Operational Strategy
- Increase operational and business capabilities through optimum use of technology, standardization, innovation, and disciplined processes as it relates to Open pit operations across all Newmont global operations.
- Establish and lead working groups across the regions focused on identifying and realizing value for the Organization within areas of key core unit operating activity by focusing on opportunities to improve equipment performance and improve planning effectiveness to achieve greater productivity and utilization within the defined mine plan.
- Facilitate the sharing of best practices related to budget development and cost control.
- Create a forum for increasing the effective flow of information between all Newmont entities to share best practices.
- Agree and implement common performance metrics across the sites.
- Support and contribute to the ongoing development of the Global Management Operating Systems.
- Leverage supplier alliance agreements to reduce operating costs.
- Provide input in the regional training and development plans as they relate to Open pit operations.
- Develop strong stakeholder relationships built on trust and performance.
- Provide and leverage a structured template for the introduction of a significant change impacting Open pit operations at an operational level.
Business Readiness Support
- Support the continuing documentation of relevant process and procedures to be used as the basis for business readiness definition as it relates to Open pit operations.
- Participate as required to complete Business Readiness checks.
- Critically evaluate Business Readiness plans as submitted by each function to assure cross-functional performance and complete integration of the finished product.
Develop, Review and Update Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Coordinate with Continuous Improvement and Regional Management, optimize the existing process for the identification, documentation, and implementation of agreed standards.
- Establish monitoring systems to ensure that the expertise required to run the operations is passed on to all employees and that it is embedded in systems, policies and procedures.
- Coordinate the future activities of operating groups to ensure the efficiency in production in mining operation.
Lead Continuous Improvement in Project Stage
- Utilize gap analysis of existing sites to further identify opportunities for deployment of Continuous Improvement resources in coordination with Regional Business Excellence Directors.
- Facilitate Business Excellence tools and resources to address improvement opportunities and build business cases to justify improvements.
- Provide core expertise support to Regional Business Excellence groups completing projects associated with Open pit operations.
- Bachelor of Science or higher in Mining, Metallurgy, or a related field, or the equivalent level of combined education and work experience.
- Minimum of 15 years experience in surface and or underground mining operations; 5 years and above of Newmont experience desired.
- Supervisory experience in operations, demonstrating increased levels of responsibility.
- Broad experience including engineering and operations principally associated with Open pit operations.
- Experience utilizing continuous improvement tools such as GMP, Six Sigma, Lean.
- Health, Safety and Environmental and related regulatory experience in a role of leading both compliance and proactive management of these issues to limit and eliminate any adverse outcomes.
- Knowledge in budgeting and life-of-mine planning.
- Strong business acumen with emphasis in economics, finance, and IT.
- Understanding of supply chain and procurement processes.
- Overseas mining experience to include developing countries; start-up experience preferable.
- Experience in Newmont’s Capital Effectiveness Program.
- Strong technical writing, group presentation skills.
- Ability to mentor, coach and direct workgroup by establishing stretch goals for development of staff and promotion of quality study.
- Strong interpersonal skills including cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to build and maintain strong networks and manage stakeholders; impact and change.
- Ability to lead change.
Job criteria for job ad : Mine Operations Lead
|Job category :|
Production, maintenance, quality
Industry, production, manufacturing and other
|Employment type :|
Ashanti – Brong Ahafo – Central – Eastern – Greater Accra – Northern – Upper East – Upper West – Volta – Western
|Experience level :|
|Educational level :|
|Spoken language :|
|Number of Position(s) :||1|