SOS-Hermann Gmeiner International College (SOS-HGIC) seeks a Human Resource Officer
SOS-HGIC is a highly academic and very reputable International Senior Secondary Boarding School for the “best and brightest” students from SOS Children’s Villages across Africa together with students from the host nation, Ghana. Its motto is Knowledge in the Service of Africa and its ethos is rooted in providing an excellent pre-university education while nurturing students to use their leadership skills and diverse talents for the benefit of their local communities and for Africa. SOS-HGIC is thus a unique school, comprising the 4-years of pre-university education, and offering two years of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IB MYP) followed by 2 years of the full IB Diploma Programme (IB DP) – which the school was the first to pioneer in Ghana in 1993.
The College was founded in 1990 by the President of SOS Kinderdorf International, which has over 500 SOS Children’s Villages worldwide, and primary, secondary and vocational schools all over the world. The College is its flagship pre-university institution and its students have graduated from such first class institutions in the USA as Harvard, Princeton, Yale, MIT, Vassar and many others. Additionally, in Europe and the United Kingdom, students have graduated from the Universities of Bremen, Jacobs, Oxford, Edinburgh, UCL and Richmond etc, and within Africa, from the University of Cape Town, Wits University, Ashesi, University of Ghana, Legon, the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, among others.
We are looking for an experienced and skilled HR Officer who will help with recruitment, talent development, managing procedures and policy development. The College is headed by a Principal and two Vice Principals; the Human Resource Officer will report directly to the Principal. The Job description below outlines the broad spectrum of the role.
Job Description for Human Resource Officer
- The Human Resource Officer’s role is to support the Principal in hiring, developing and looking after the needs of the staff body.
- The responsibilities include oversight of general staff training needs that do not fall under the academic function as well as keeping accurate records of attendance and related personnel matters.
- The HR Officer will be asked to provide such data to be used in the evaluation of staff performance.
- You will be responsible for administrative tasks such as the keeping and updating of accurate personnel files and you will contribute to making the college a better place to work.
- You are expected to have knowledge of various HR functions as well as applicable Labour laws governing employee/employer relations.
- You will be required to be fully conversant with the college’s Conditions of Service document and to assist particularly the ancillary staff in understanding its provisions.
- The goal will be to provide excellent assistance and support to the Senior Leadership Team.
The Human Resource Officer’s roles and responsibilities within the school include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the development and implementation of HR initiatives and systems
- Providing counseling on policies and procedures
- Being actively involved in recruitment by helping with job descriptions and managing the hiring process
- Creating and implementing effective onboarding and induction plans
- Developing training and development programs e.g., health and safety, safeguarding etc.
- Assisting in performance management processes as directed by the Principal
- Supporting the management of disciplinary and grievance issues
- Maintaining employee records (attendance data warning letters, periods of probation and timelines of confirmation letters etc.) according to college policy and legal requirements
- Reviewing the job descriptions and actual functions of non-teaching staff (admin, technicians, interns, assistants, canteen staff, drivers and cleaners etc.) with a view to streamline operations and reduce overstaffing
- Reviewing employment and working conditions to ensure legal compliance
- Reviewing renewal of contracts
- Any other tasks related to human resource that the Principal asks of you
- Bachelor’s degree; BSc/BA in Business Administration, HR, Social studies or relevant field; further training or professional certification will be a plus
- At least three years proven experience as an HR officer, administrator or other HR position
- Knowledge of HR functions (pay & benefits, recruitment, training & development etc.)
- Understanding of labour laws and disciplinary procedures
- Outstanding organizational and time-management abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A successful record as a strong and effective decision maker;
- Strong ethics and reliability
- Evidence of ability to hold staff to account in relation to policies
- Experience working in international schools and other international organizations will be a plus
- Master’s Degree in Education, or related field
- Experience and knowledge of international education system(s)
- Experience in fundraising, public relations and communication would be a distinct advantage
- Evidence of well-developed planning skills
- Strong IT skills
Closing Date: 19 February, 2021
Job criteria for job ad : HR Officer
|Job category :|
|Employment type :|
|Experience level :|
|Educational level :|
|Spoken language :|
|Number of Position(s) :||1|