Job ad Ghana : Head of Tech for Development
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a purpose-driven, not-for-profit organisation, with a mission to equip leaders to build open, prosperous and inclusive societies. We believe that politics done well has the power to transform lives. When governments work well, they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We are optimists, and we work relentlessly to support leaders and governments with the challenges they face: giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people.
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Advisory Practice works directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia. We are currently in a rapid expansion phase from c. 18 countries at present, to 30 by December 2022.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
Are you excited by the prospect of transforming developing and emerging nations in Africa through the application of technology and innovations across public services, agriculture, health and climate? Do you have experience of consulting or working in the tech field and of leading teams to drive systemic and transformative change in an emerging or developing country?
Our main objective in this strategically important role is to rapidly deploy a tech for development initiative in Rwanda, which has been enabled by a dynamic external partner across existing and new operations in our Government Advisory and Tech & Public Policy divisions. This landmark initiative will be delivered in 30 countries, with activity in Rwanda starting immediately.
We have an advisory team embedded in Ghana some of who are now working within the central government to deploy data technologies to support the country’s COVID-19 response.
An exciting opportunity exists to work with the relevant ministries to implement a suite of technology products to support the health response and more. The post holder will drive the Ghana tech for development programme, leading a tech team based in country. The post holder will also work closely with TBI’s Global Director Tech for Development and his/her team to deliver our global plan.
This is a senior role requiring an exceptional candidate with relevant expertise, deep networks with government and/or industry in country or other peer countries.
Key outcomes of the role
- Establishing effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians in government, such as Presidents, PMs, Minister and Special Advisors, securing mandate with at least one key counterpart as regular contact;
- Delivery of our tech for development country programme plan created and staffed with engaged and results oriented people
- Tangible results delivered in tech for development, such as deployment of solutions ranging from the current pandemic response and digital health offer, to proximate use cases such as digital payments, digital ID;
- Thought leadership recognised in country/regionally/globally and contribution to our tech for development global offer and playbook; and
- Expenditure in line with budget.
- Strategy and Planning: Design, maintain and continually improve: (i) the country strategy for tech for development; and (ii) plans and tools to roll out the strategy from one tech domain to another, within one ministry or across government.
- Government: Relations: Establish effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians in government, such as Presidents, PMs, Minister and Special Advisors. Secure mandates with at least one key counterpart as regular contact, in service of our mission to support political leaders to achieve results that benefit the people of the country and in service of our tech for development. initiative.
- Execution and Monitoring: Establish, review and maintain project goals, plans, proof points and KPIs. Serve as the focal point for tech for development in country, project and output quality control and design tools to support execution. Report and engage with Country Head Ghana, and the Global Director Tech for Development and his/her team to drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot and manage the initiative across TBI. Ensure expenditure is utilised in line with budget with robust management accounts and accountability established. Ensure all necessary risk, legal and financial compliance and processes are in place.
- People: Recruit, manage and develop a country team to report to post holder (with immediate effect hire a senior Programme Manager with sector experts to follow). Shape and embody a culture that drives innovation and delivery. Provide quality control of new hires and ongoing development and mentoring. The post holder and his/her team will be expected to play a key role in the broader community at TBI and will be expected to build strong working relationships.
- External Relations (non-governmental): Engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, investors, other not for profit organisations, media, suppliers and agencies.
- One TBI: The post holder will formally report into the Country Head Ghana and form part of the wider team and country programme. They will be matrixed on deliverables and work with the Global Director, Tech for Development based in London and his/her team. Other key relationships will be with the Executive Directors for External Relations, Government Advisory, Tech & Public Policy, and our Legal, HR and Finance support teams.