Job ad Ghana : Genetic Counsellor – Accra
We are recruiting a Genetic Counsellor.
- The candidate will be responsible for the clinical skills training, teaching, research support and supervision of MSc Genetic Counselling students.
- The candidate should be an accredited genetic counsellor with practical experience in genetic counselling, highly skilled in clinical supervision, teaching/training, public engagement, and research.
- Candidates will be required to successfully complete a Cultural Adaptation course with the Ghana Psychology Council, and become registered with the Council to practice in Ghana.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop course manuals, detailed lesson plans, and a 1032-hour practicum schedule for rotation of MSc genetic counselling students in haematology, cancer, child health, and obstetrics
- Work with Heads of Clinical Units to develop a plan for adequate clinical supervision and support of students during rotations at each Unit
- Adopt evidence and competency-based as well as student-centred and integrated learning activities that improve clinical skills learning
- Adopt advanced, practical, and fair methods of assessment that promote active learning critical thinking, self-reflection, personal growth, and teamwork
- Closely monitor students’ clinical skills and broader educational needs, appropriately guiding training and learning in ways that ensure eventual development of competencies comparable to world-class standards as well as ensure that students are fit for purpose in the local setting
- Ensure consistency of teaching of the MSc programme working closely with Course Leaders, and develop collaborative research focused genetic counselling
- Ensure long essays are fit for purpose, and secure materials and resources to support teaching learning and assessment of clinical skills and knowledge
- Work closely with the Programme Coordinators and the Ghana Psychology Council to ensure smooth progression of graduates to interns
- Master’s Degree in Genetic Counselling or equivalent
- Registration by a national accreditation body as a Genetic Counsellor
- Minimum three years post qualification practical work experience
- Experience in all aspects of genetic counselling including determining risk factors for inherited and acquired genetic disorders, genetics tests, assessing patients’ psychological and sociocultural needs, and offering education and counselling in a diversity of genetic disorders
- Experience in planning, teaching, supervising, assessing, and managing clinical skills training of MSc genetic counselling students
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills including fluency in English and report writing
- Good computer literacy skills, with competencies in spreadsheets, word processing, power point, electronic communications applications, including teleconferencing and distance learning platforms
Closing Date: 21 March, 2021
Job criteria for job ad : Genetic Counsellor
|Job category :||
Health and social professions
|Employment type :|
|Experience level :|
|Educational level :|
|Spoken language :|
|Number of Position(s) :||1|