Job ad Ghana : Editor for Debating Africa
We’re looking for a free-lance driven Editor based in Africa to help us ensure the high-quality of our online citizen-driven platform, Debating Africa.
Africa and Europe need to revise and re-energise their relations. In a world of increased geopolitical competition with new and old actors jostling for influence across the continent, Europe and Africa must act urgently to modernise and revitalise relations. European and African narratives about each other need a fundamental reset.
Funded by the European Union, this project brings together a leading African think tank, the Mo Ibrahim Foundation renowned for its work in supporting good governance and exceptional leadership in Africa, a leading and innovative European think tank working on a more inclusive, sustainable and forward-looking Europe, Friends of Europe, and IPEMED, a respected academic institute. Together, this consortium has a vast depth of expertise on African and European policymaking and the investment environment across both regions as well as extensive networks of high level political and business contacts.
At the heart of this project is outreach and engagement with diverse stakeholders across Africa with a strategic focus on youth in civil society. The project aims at opening up space for new and emerging voices in the Africa-Europe partnership and providing a platform for effective engagement involving young citizens and policymakers from across the continent and on themes relevant to the future of Africa-Europe relations.
Friends of Europe is recruiting an Editor for “Debating Africa”, an online platform which will be the central tool for citizen engagement in the overall Africa-Europe Alliance project and a first platform of its kind involving citizens and policymakers across the continent.
The idea behind Debating Africa is to connect young Africans and policymakers in online debates on the key issues facing the continent. Citizens will be encouraged to send in their questions and policy recommendations, which will then be taken to a relevant African policymaker for a response.
Debating Africa will strive to become the online discussion platform designed to –
- engage young Africans and policymakers in an on-going conversation on vital issues shaping the future of Africa;
- challenge traditional ‘top-down’ thinking with a citizen-driven ‘bottom-up’ approach;
- explain to citizens in a simple, easily digestible way the key issues at stake for the African continent.
Here is what we expect from you.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
The Editor for “Debating Africa” (DA) is principally responsible for ensuring high quality, thoughtful and relevant content for all DA debates in order to maximise their reach, recognition and value. This centres on developing an annual calendar of content for debates as part of the broader “Africa Europe Alliance” and developing contents which are timely, related to strategic policy developments and emerging issues that result in effective on-line debates.
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties
- Developing an annual calendar of content for debates.
- Identifying topics and issues for debate in the short and long-term.
- Writing the contents of all online debates and reports linked to focus groups.
- Proofing for quality texts provided by other members of the Debating Africa team.
- Commissioning research for debates, focus groups, and infographics.
- Managing DA’s social media platforms.
- Ensuring the content is balanced, taking account of agreements with partners whilst maintaining the independence of the Africa Europe Alliance and AEA consortium coordinated by Friends of Europe with the Mo Ibrahim Foundation and IPEMED.
- Interviewing policymakers, experts and citizens.
- On a case-by-case basis, supporting business development activities including developing ideas and writing proposals.
- Undertaking any tasks and responsibilities commensurate with this position as required by the organisation.
This position is open only to free-lancers who are residents of an African country.