Job ad Ghana : Database Administrator (DBA) – Accra
The University of Ghana hereby invites applications from suitably qualified persons within the University for the position of Database Administrator (DBA).
POSITION: DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR (DBA)
REPORTING TO:HEAD OF UNIT, ADMINISTRATIVE COMPUTING
SUPERVISES: Database System Analysts and Programmers
- To oversee the creation, maintenance, performance, integrity and security of the databases. Provide operational support in the planning, development, maintenance and troubleshooting activities for the achievement of the objectives of the University.
- Ensure that information is backed-up, secured, and protected
- Develop, manage and test back-up and recovery plans
- Perform the planned backups and test backup plans
- Ensure that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly
- Monitor database performance and configure for optimum response times
- Assist designers with database support for business application prototypes, and participate in quality assurance exercises
- Manage User Access with regular review in collaboration with system owners
- Employ adequate validation controls to ensure high data integrity and security
- Regularly educate database users on good usage practices to avoid security breaches
- Collaborate with other team members to coordinate development of new databases and determine the scope of the job
- Maintain data standards, including adherence to the Data Protection Act
- Write database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata)
- Communicate regularly with applications developers to ensure database integrity and security
1. The applicant must be a staff of the University of Ghana at the grade of at least, Principal ICT Assistant and have:
- A Masters’ Degree in any of the following areas: Computer Software/Computer Systems Engineering, Electronics, Information Technology, Mathematics, Operational Research.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in database Administration
- Oracle DBA certification (OCP and above) is an added advantage
2. Required knowledge, ability and skills:
- Hands-on experience in programming
- Familiarity with database technologies and operating systems
- Requires good knowledge of structured query language (SQL), Unix and DBMS
- Expertise in Oracle database management system, good knowledge of SQL Server and MySQL
- Excellent project management skills.
- Able to communicate well with stakeholders and at all levels.
- Excellent planning, organising and presentation skills.
- Able to lead and work as part of a team, solution orientated, proactive and motivated with good time management skills.
- Strong understanding of relational and conventional database technology, tools and techniques, standard operating systems, database products and needs, and performance and tuning techniques
- Multi-tasking to work on multiple projects at once required
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records and meet or exceed company goals
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to troubleshoot software and hardware issues
3. Core Attributes
- Analytical Thinking — Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Integrity – The position requires a high level of integrity, as the position holder will be exposed to confidential and sensitive information
- Innovation — Job requires creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude
- An up to date Curriculum Vitae;
- Copies of relevant educational and professional certificates; and,
- Two reference letters, at least one of which should be from a Head of Unit in the University of Ghana, with whom the applicant has worked.
The reference letters should, among others, include the following information on the candidate:
- Professional competence and work output
- Leadership abilities and sense of responsibility.
- General Contribution to the work of the University (or relevant organization)
- Interpersonal skills
- Any other relevant information
Closing Date: 23 November, 2020
Job criteria for job ad : Database Administrator (DBA)
|Job category :|
|Employment type :|
|Experience level :|
|Educational level :|
|Number of Position(s) :||1|