Job ad Ghana : Assistant Budget Officer – Abuja, Nigeria
Under the supervision of the Budget Officer, the incumbent shall assist with preparation of periodic reports on budget transactions such as reports on the status of budgetary accounts at the Parliament.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare commitment orders for the payment of goods and services;
- Prepare commitment orders for the retirement of all advances related to sessions, meetings and missions;
- Commit all receipts (community levy, refunds and other receipts) in favour of the institution;
- Reconcile on a weekly basis commitment orders (input data) to budget distribution statements (output data) and master file records to ascertain accuracy of processing;
- Prepare or evaluate financial reports such as budgeted vs. actual expenditure or commitment;
- Interpret and apply budget and finance rules and regulations;
- Receive and evaluate regular financial reports with particular attention to apparent anomalies or unusual trends; bring anomalies to the attention of the Manager and initiate corrections as indicated;
- Prepare routine, recurrent reports to management and draft commentaries;
- Prepare preliminary budget projections;
- Define requirements and user needs for automated systems;
- Assists in the coordination of inputs (e.g., for preparation of budgetary submissions);
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in translation or equivalent from a recognized Institute or University.
- 5 years of experience in translation and revision and technical writing;
- Proven knowledge with computer-assisted translation tools, machine translation tools and on-screen editing tools;
- Knowledge of the structure and content of language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, grammar, and history.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS KEY COMPETENCIES
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- Contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- Interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards;
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbias and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means, ;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify, organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
Closing Date: 13 April, 2021
Job criteria for job ad : Assistant Budget Officer
|Job category :|
Social, public and human services
|Employment type :|
|City :||Abuja, Nigeria|
|Experience level :|
|Educational level :|
|Spoken language :||
|Number of Position(s) :||1|