The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is the implementer of the Water Enabler Compact of the Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT-WEC) program funded by the African Development Bank. IWMI intends to recruit an intern to translate (from English to French) training modules, extension posters and a catalogue of water solutions. IWMI is seeking applications from enthusiastic students and fresh graduates who are looking to gain professional experience in the field of translating.
Job Title: Internship in Translation (English to French)
Irrigation and agricultural water management solutions provide farmers with the opportunity to cultivate throughout the year and also improve crop and water productivity. However, many agricultural extension agents and smallholder farmers lack information on available irrigation and agricultural water management solutions. In order to make training sessions easier, IWMI, through the TAAT-WEC program, is developing a training manual and extension posters on simple and readily available irrigation and agricultural water management solutions. The focus of this internship is to support students and fresh graduates from tertiary institutions to translate the training manual and extension posters from English to French. IWMI provides a professional setting that allows interns to gain valuable work experience.
The intern will undertake the following activities under supervision:
- Read through a training manual and extension posters in English, understand the meaning and context of the content, and translate it into French while preserving the original meaning.
- Consult the technical team to understand specialized concepts and translate them appropriately.
- Refer to online translation tools for additional assistance with translations.
- Use translation memory software, such as Wordfast, memoQ, Across, SDL Trados and Transit NXT, to ensure consistency of translation within documents and help efficiency.
- Use specialist dictionaries, thesauruses and reference books to find the closest equivalents for terminology and words used.
- Provide support to proofreading and editing the final translated versions.
At the end of the internship, the intern will produce:
- Ready for print and online distribution: a training manual containing 13 modules translated into French and proofread.
- Ready for print and online distribution: 14 extension posters translated into French and proofread.
- Ready for print and online distribution: a catalogue of water solutions translated into French and proofread.
Qualifications, exposure, and skills:
- A bachelor’s degree in English, French or Translation.
- Fluency in both English and French.
- Excellent information technology (IT) skills, especially in using translation software.
- Exceptional creativity and innovation.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- An understanding of the latest trends in the development of training manuals.
- An efficient approach to time, costs and deadlines.
- Teamwork skills: adept at working with authors, editors and typesetters to publish comprehensible write-ups.
- Spelling/grammar skills: ability to correctly assemble words and apply them in writing.
The duration of the internship is 4 months. This is a nationally recruited internship.