INTERNAL AUDIT & RISK MANAGER
Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is the umbrella network organization representing Fairtrade certified producers and workers in Africa. It has four (4) regional networks – Eastern Africa; Southern Africa; West Africa; and the Middle East and North Africa. Established in 2005, FTA aims to effectively represent producers and workers within the International Fairtrade System and provide services to them that contribute to the improvement of their livelihoods. The FTA Board directs the policy and strategic development of the organization.
ABOUT THE JOB
To lead the internal audit and risk team in providing independent, objective assurance and consulting within Fairtrade Africa with the aim of assessing internal controls, risk management activities, financial statements/records, and providing recommendations on any non-conformities that shall have been noted or identified.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Leading the development and implementation of an internal risk-based audit strategy and annual plan for FTA.
· Planning and undertaking audit to assess controls, operational and technical efficiencies, and compliance with selected policies, procedures, and regulations.
· Driving operational improvements throughout the organization to improve overall efficiencies and enhance internal controls.
· Directing implementation and compliance of internal controls, identify and correct any deficiencies.
· Supporting external auditors for corporate compliance.
· Guiding the annual audit plan development.
· Promoting the highest standards of ethics and standards across FTA, based on the principles of integrity, objectivity, competence, and confidentiality.
· Ensuring due diligence in the management of the FTA’s affairs.
· Overseeing the preparation of the Internal Audit systems, procedures, and guidelines.
· Supervising the preparation of work programmes to ensure that audits are planned and well managed.
· Reviewing the internal controls and documenting their effectiveness and adequacy.
· Recommending mitigation measures to address identified weaknesses where necessary.
· Liaising with the external auditors and ensure follow-up on the process of implementation of Internal and external audit recommendations.
· Undertaking investigations as appropriate
· Supervising, training, and developing direct reports
· Coordinating cross-functional efforts within the FTA to improve on proactive risk management and continuity of operations.
· Overseeing the FTA’s risk portfolio and identify priority areas of risk assessment and mitigation planning.
· Advisory on rating and ranking the current and anticipated critical and high Compliance Risks and mitigation activities for inclusion in the assessments.
· Supporting and empowering Business Unit management in effectively carrying out their respective risk activities.
· Monitoring the maintenance/update of the strategic risk register.
· Monitoring the implementation of risk action plans.
· Assisting Line Managers in identifying and analyzing inherent risks.
· Managing and following up on open issues and work with management to ensure closure of risk action plans.
· Managing third parties engaged in support of Risk Management Consultancy.
· Coordinating post-incident post-mortem.
· Monitoring the Risk and Control Self Assessments.
· Follow up on the implementation of Board resolutions on risk
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS:
· Master’s Degree in any of the following fields: Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Mathematics, Statistics, Risk Management or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution would be an added advantage
- Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following fields: Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Statistics, Economics or any other equivalent qualification from a recognized institution
· Be in possession of Certified Public Accountants or Association of Certified Chartered Accountant or any other relevant
- Be in possession of CISA or CIA or Risk Qualification or any other relevant.
Experience and Knowledge
- A minimum of ten (10) years in relevant work and at least four (4) years in a management role
- Good working knowledge of the English Language is mandatory, working knowledge of French will be an added advantage
- Experience in internal audit work
- Design of risk-based Internal Audit programmes
- Experience in risk appraisal and management techniques
- Practical experience of fraud investigations
- Experience in the audit function of an International not-for-profit or charitable organization with operations in multiple countries
- Excellent communication and reporting skills (verbal and in writing)
- Strong analytical, organization, and planning skills
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to work across different cultures
- Ability to maintain the highest standards of ethics, confidentiality, and professionalism.
- Strong time-management and organization skills