Integrated Animal Health Specialist | ReliefWeb
Job Title Integrated Animal Health Specialist
Partner Organization SEND GHANA
Duration (Months) Between 6 and 12 months
Start date April/May 2021
Eligibility requirements Open to Ghanaian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Ghana only.
About Veterinarians Without Borders
In the global south, more than 90 per cent of food animals are raised by subsistence farmers yet these small-scale livestock producers, the majority of whom are women, have very limited access to quality and affordable animal health services. Aside from the risks associated with the loss of valuable livestock who provide important protein and/or income for poor households, zoonotic diseases that can be passed from animals to humans offer a very real threat to human health on a wider scale.
Veterinarians without Borders/Vétérinaires sans frontières (VWB/VSF) works for, and with, communities in need to foster the health of animals, people and the environments that sustain us. VWB/VSF works nationally and internationally to train animal health workers, increase food security, and improve animal & public health. VWB/VSF provides overseas volunteer placements for veterinarians and other animal & public health professionals.
Language Requirements Essential: English language
Essential: Bachelor’s degree in veterinary pathology/ microbiology or related field
Desirable: Degree in Veterinary Medicine
Professional Background / Skills
- Experience in poultry feed industry, poultry value chain, poultry production and health management,
- Experience in small ruminant production, value chain development and animal health management,
- Ability to train farmers in disease control and feed management
- Veterinary students willing to learn practical experiences on a poultry farm,
- Skills in veterinary pathology laboratory investigations,
- Diagnostic capacity in poultry and small ruminant diseases, in Anthrax, rabies and brucellosis
- Proposal design, formulation and organizational management
- Effective cross-cultural communication skills
- Commitment to the principles of volunteer cooperation and familiarity with participatory approaches to development, including the promotion of gender equality, good governance and environmental sustainability
- Previous international work / volunteer experience in COUNTRY or other developing country
How to apply
Please submit via email your resume/CV and a motivation letter to [email protected]
Please note the following:
The subject line of your email should read “Integrated Animal Health Specialist .”
The file name for your resume should read: “(last name)(first name)* Resume**
The file name for your cover letter should read: “(last name) (first name) Cover Letter
(Your letter should state why you wish to be considered for the role and how you meet relevant skills)
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants invited to an interview will be contacted.
PS: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Application deadline is May 1st 2021.