Infrastructure Procurement Specialist | ReliefWeb
About the role
PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF JOB
Based in Accra, Ghana, the Infrastructure Procurement Advisor will fill a senior technical role on Crown Agents’ value for money team with responsibility for structuring and delivering value for money assessments of contracts for infrastructure projects. The role will include technical assessments and reporting, presenting findings to clients and playing a lead role in value for money contract negotiations in support of the government.
Pre-Contract Value for Money Assessments
- Review the Bill of Quantities to check that it is adequate to correspond with the Employers Requirements (e.g. specifications and drawings)
- Review the conditions of contract relating to time control, payment and other commercial terms
- If necessary, identify the relevant conditions of contract that potentially alter the balance of risk and reward between Contractor and Employer and make recommendations to restore balance to the contract
- Evaluate the suitability and coherence of Employer’s Requirements for infrastructure development/construction projects
- Evaluate the completeness and responsiveness (to the Employer’s Requirements) of Contractors’ proposals for infrastructure development/construction projects
Independent Contract Monitoring
- Provision of technical guidance to and supervision of staff working to monitor the progress of work against the agreed Contractor’s Programme to pinpoint delays and if necessary, recommend measures to mitigate the delays, including reporting.
- Review interim payment certificates of the Contractor to ensure that these comply with the terms of the contract (retention money, advance payment, etc.)
- Review contract changes (variation orders, change orders), and requested extension of time from the Contractor
- Review technical and contract documentations in the course of the work to identify any issues which are not in compliance with relevant contract terms and conditions
- If necessary, undertake a site inspection to identify any defects in construction and check that the payment certificates correspond with the actual value of works completed
Additional responsibilities will likely include:
- Technical leadership on the preparation of proposals for value for money assessment and audit projects
- Broader technical support to Crown Agents’ business development efforts globally.
- Technical support for independent contract monitoring to report on compliance with value for money actions agreed by contractors at pre-contract value for money negotiations.
Reports to: Value for Money Project Director (UK)
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Demonstrable experience of providing technical leadership on the procurement of public infrastructure projects involving international contractors – including: preparation of Employer’s Requirements; preparation of special conditions of contracts; preparation of bidding documents; technical evaluation of proposals. Experience in evaluation of commercial proposals will be considered an asset.
- Demonstrable experience of working with and applying FIDIC Conditions of Contract for Turnkey Projects (EPC) or other types of construction contracts (e.g. NEC)
- Demonstrable experience leading technical aspects of infrastructure contract negotiations, preferably in support of government clients working with private contractors.
- Skilled in report writing and presenting of complex information in a professional manner
- Previous experience in independently assessing the progress of civil works construction projects
- Familiarity with construction industry standards and specifications as applied in developing countries including Ghana will be considered an asset.
- Overall post graduate experience of at least 10 years in infrastructure procurement or construction contract management.
- Health infrastructure procurement experience would be highly desirable
- A degree in Civil Engineering, Engineering or Architecture
You’ll be working with Crown Agents which is a high impact social enterprise passionate about transforming the future for millions of people. Since our creation in 1833 we have worked across the globe to improve public services and drive economic growth. Our expertise is finding new solutions to difficult problems for clients in the areas of health, governance, economic growth, humanitarian action and supply chain services. We work with and train leaders at local, national and international level to achieve lasting change drawing on our insight and experience.
About what’s on offer
Crown Agents offers a competitive benefits package.