Ghana is a complex and aggressive market, with Diageo competing in a high number of market sectors, against a very aggressive competitor set.
We hold a number of leadership positions across beer, malt drinks and premium spirits – however all positions are under pressure, requiring strong category marketing leadership in order to not only retain our market share, but grow it.
Job Title: Brand Manager – RTD, Bitters & Vodka
With its current base business and a fully loaded innovation agenda aimed at establishing a full total beverage business in Ghana with a rich portfolio of brands covering beers, local and internal premium spirits and non-alcoholic adult soft drinks, Diageo Ghana is set to grow aggressively and competitively over the next 3 years.
Consumers – Ghana has a population of c.26 million currently with forecast for solid population and economic growth. Overall penetration of alcohol is relatively low, but with strong consumption of both beer and mainstream spirits. There is also a strong carbonated soft drink category (CSD’s), ranging from Malt based beverages through to more traditional CSD’s.
Competitors – Ghana is a very aggressive and competitive market across all categories.
Purpose of Role & Accountabilities
Fully understands the way in which Diageo operates in the context of their market and uses this knowledge and data analytics to manage all levers of value creation to ensure profitable brand growth for Diageo and our partners.
Leads and inspires and team comprising a broad range of contributors including other functions, agency partners and external experts, individuals and organisations who influence culture. Combines our skills with theirs to create outstanding content which can drive greater cultural traction for our brands and create value efficiently and effectively.
Uncovers deep, penetrating insights about occasions, purchasing and consumption behaviours, and uses this insight to inspire marketing strategies and plans which ensure we drive purchase through all channels.
Builds purposeful and distinctive brands, identifying strategic growth opportunities and translating them in to a competitive Marketing Business Plan (MBP) that drives growth and makes our brands beacons within culture
The BM is responsible for demonstrating these skills:
- Work effectively with strategic partners to develop activity plans based on a clear understanding (through M&E and A&P effectiveness review) of the impact of both new & existing activities.
- Input to the development of brand innovation & renovation plans, including line extensions, working with innovation project managers to deliver timeously.
- Monthly submission of brand performance (rationale & commentary of brand volume, brand health, brand share) and key drivers of performance. Development of brand updates for Exec on request.
- Maintain the highest standards of execution, and in particular ensure personal excellence in the execution of brand communication and activation strategies.
- Maintain strong relationships with agency partners, providing written briefs and de-briefs using DWBB format, formulation of accurate work plans & fair PRIP proposals, retainer negotiations and regular performance reviews.
- Provide meaningful input into the S&OP process (volume forecasting & A&P).
- Own the culture of compliance in the Brand team; ensuring full compliance to DMC, GAR and CARM requirements.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Appropriate tertiary marketing qualification – degree / diploma
- Suitable Post Graduate Qualification is desirable
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in marketing and innovation ideal
- Experience in other Commercially-oriented roles is desirable
- Track record of success in highly demanding organisations
- Proven ability to operate within the context of an extensive business network with accountability for key brand owner contact points
- Experience of operating in complex multi-dimensional consumer and channel landscapes