Ghana is a complex and aggressive market, with Diageo competing in a high number of market sectors, against a very aggressive competitor set.
We hold a number of leadership positions across beer, malt drinks and premium spirits – however all positions are under pressure, requiring strong category marketing leadership in order to not only retain our market share, but grow it.
Job Title: Senior Brand Manager – Scotch
With its current base business and a fully loaded innovation agenda aimed at establishing a full total beverage business in Ghana with a rich portfolio of brands covering beers, local and internal premium spirits and non-alcoholic adult soft drinks, Diageo Ghana is set to grow aggressively and competitively over the next 3 years.
Consumers – Ghana has a population of c.26 million currently with forecast for solid population and economic growth. Overall penetration of alcohol is relatively low, but with strong consumption of both beer and mainstream spirits. There is also a strong carbonated soft drink category (CSD’s), ranging from Malt based beverages through to more traditional CSD’s.
Competitors – Ghana is a very aggressive and competitive market across all categories.
Functional Expectancy Profile
The SBM is responsible for demonstrating these skills:
- BUILD PURPOSEFUL WINNING BRANDS. Expected Level = Essential / Advanced ;Builds purposeful and distinctive brands, identifying strategic growth opportunities and translating them in to a competitive Marketing Business Plan (MBP) that drives growth and makes our brands beacons within culture
- USING INSIGHT TO SELL MORE: Expected Level = Essential ; Uncovers deep, penetrating insights about occasions, purchasing and consumption behaviours, and uses this insight to inspire marketing strategies and plans which ensure we drive purchase through all channels.
- FORGING POWERFUL PARTNERSHIPS: Expected Level = Essential ;Leads and inspires and team comprising a broad range of contributors including other functions, agency partners and external experts, individuals and organisations who influence culture. Combines our skills with theirs to create outstanding content which can drive greater cultural traction for our brands and create value efficiently and effectively.
- DRIVING MARKETING PERFORMANCE: Expected Level = Essential ;Fully understands the way in which Diageo operates in the context of their market and uses this knowledge and data analytics to manage all levers of value creation to ensure profitable brand growth for Diageo and our partners.
- DELIVERING INTERGRATED EXECUTION: Expected Level = Essential / Advanced ;Develops holistic and integrated culturally relevant Marketing programmes that reflect brand purpose in a meaningful way for consumers. Then executes in a timely manner, and with creative flair, through multi-channel media encompassing traditional, experiential and digital communications.
Purpose of Role & Accountabilities
- Champion the relevant brand amongst internal and external stakeholders and ensure volume, profit and market share delivery.
- Long term brand strategy, architecture and positioning development in alignment with portfolio strategy.
- Development & implementation of brand pricing strategy.
- Formulate the annual MBP for designated brand(s).
- Lead the execution of the MBP for designated brands(s).
- Translate brand strategy into 6 Quarter planning: 18 month plan outlining all activity by channel.
- Work effectively with strategic partners to develop activity plans based on a clear understanding (through M&E and A&P effectiveness review) of the impact of both new & existing activities.
- Input to the development of brand innovation & renovation plans, including line extensions, working with innovation project managers to deliver timeously.
- Monthly submission of brand performance (rationale & commentary of brand volume, brand health, brand share) and key drivers of performance. Development of brand updates for Exec on request.
- Maintain the highest standards of execution, and in particular ensure personal excellence in the execution of brand communication and activation strategies.
- Maintain strong relationships with agency partners, providing written briefs and de-briefs using DWBB format, formulation of accurate work plans & fair PRIP proposals, retainer negotiations and regular performance reviews.
- Provide meaningful input into the S&OP process (volume forecasting & A&P).
- Support the Marketing Manager in the development and coaching of Brand Managers and Graduate Trainees.
- Own the culture of compliance in the Brand team; ensuring full compliance to DMC, GAR and CARM requirements.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Appropriate tertiary marketing qualification – degree / diploma
- Suitable Post Graduate Qualification is desirable
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in marketing and innovation ideal
- Experience in other Commercially-oriented roles is desirable
- Track record of success in highly demanding organisations
- Proven ability to operate within the context of an extensive business network with accountability for key brand owner contact points
- Experience of operating in complex multi-dimensional consumer and channel landscapes
Requirements for Success in Role
- Grasp complexity of market (multiple channels, languages, cultural differences, norms and practices)
- Balance multiple priorities and work to a series of tight deadlines
- Make rapid decisions and respond quickly to organization change
- Self-motivate Work effectively with technology