Grants Officer – Ghana | ReliefWeb
In close coordination with the US Embassy and USAID, the goal of the USAID/OTI-funded Littorals Regional Initiative (LRI) is to support US foreign policy priorities to shore up stability and prevent violent extremism in the Littoral region, including Ghana.
Initial objectives include:
- Rapidly delivering effective and relevant programming on the ground through targeted interventions that may be scaled up.
- Informing and improving USG programming by piloting approaches and sharing reporting.
- Providing rapid response capacity, from hiring STTAs to quick response activities, in the event of a crisis or opportunity.
The Grants Officer will be responsible to ensure effective and efficient management of grants administration and to ensure flexible, innovative, and rapid-response mechanisms are designed to target key zones. S/he will also ensure that the Grant Management and administration function is always in compliance with Creative and USAID’s policies and procedures; and will work towards capacity building of the recipients as well as the other staff members in the area of grants management.
Location Note: This position will be based in Northern Ghana, exact city TBD.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides oversight and management of grants staff and grants program.
- Organizes and coordinates organizational staffing structure and workflow of grants staff activities and administration.
- Update and maintain grants files in OTI Anywhere, on Creative’s SharePoint, and generate weekly internal grants reports.
- Issues and reviews relevant information pertaining to grants clearances using the Activity Cycle Flow Chart.
- Responsible for ensuring quality control and the integrity of the data in Creative’s online grants database and ensures that the data in the system is always up to date.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with Creative’s grants policies as detailed in the Field Manual and the program’s Activity Manual Addendum (Grants Manual).
- Coordinate closely with program staff to ensure timely administration and monitoring of grant agreements.
- Coordinate with finance, procurement, and program staff to facilitate grantee kick-off meeting, monitoring and closeout of grant activities.
- Coordinate closely with Grants, Procurement and Programs to ensure activity-level spending is on track and provide quality control on any required budget modifications.
- Provide guidance and interpretation for program staff as well as grantees of Creative’s grants policies and procedures and USG regulation.
- Manage the grants and direct implementation pipeline.
- Manage the financial commitments, spending, and deobligations of the activities pool and all program fund sources.
- Ensure that grant master files are always up-to-date and ready for audit.
- Lead the grants management team to serve as a central point of grant activity coordination and facilitation.
- Provide support to technical units on grants compliance and the online grants database.
- Provide training in grants compliance to program staff.
Other duties as required from the Grants Manager.Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or professional accounting/financial qualification required.
Minimum of three (3) years professional experience working in complex and challenging field operational contexts.
Minimum one (1) year working on an international donor program with a grant component. Previous USAID grant experience strong preferred.
- Competence in computers and using financial software.
- Understanding of budget and cost control management.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills.
- French language proficiency is highly desired.
- Must be willing and able to be based in Northern Ghana.
- Proficiency in any of the languages spoken in Northern Ghana a plus.
- Must have existing work authorization for Ghana.
Local Ghanaian candidates strongly encouraged to apply.