Gender Specialist/Advisor | ReliefWeb
Job Title Gender Advisor
Partner Organization SEND GHANA
Duration (Months) 12 months
Start date April/May 2021
About Veterinarians Without Borders
In the global south, more than 90 per cent of food animals are raised by subsistence farmers yet these small-scale livestock producers, the majority of whom are women, have very limited access to quality and affordable animal health services. Aside from the risks associated with the loss of valuable livestock who provide important protein and/or income for poor households, zoonotic diseases that can be passed from animals to humans offer a very real threat to human health on a wider scale.
Veterinarians without Borders/Vétérinaires sans frontières (VWB/VSF) works for, and with, communities in need to foster the health of animals, people and the environments that sustain us. VWB/VSF works nationally and internationally to train animal health workers, increase food security, and improve animal & public health. VWB/VSF provides overseas volunteer placements for veterinarians and other animal & public health professionals.
Eligibility requirements Open to Ghanaians Citizens and Ghanaian Permanent Residents
Language Requirements English language
The volunteer will be supported with translation services during community level activities
Masters degree in the social sciences or related discipline
Degree in Communication
Practical experience in gender equity promotion and mainstreaming approaches
Professional Background / Skills
- Experience in gender equality promotion and women empowerment using innovative gender mainstreaming approaches .
- A strong understanding of women’s rights is required, as well as demonstrated experience incorporating gender and feminist approaches into the design, monitoring, learning, and evaluation of programs;
- Experience in applying participatory methods and tools, including the promotion of gender equality, good governance, and environmental sustainability;
- Strong knowledge and experience in conducting gender assessment and gender Action Plan in a developing country context;
- Knowledge of multi-stakeholder program development processes including coordination and learning;
- Knowledge of training tools and methods and proven experience delivering training on gender responsive programs. Experience in coaching and mentoring in rural and agricultural communities is considered an asset.
- Effective cross-cultural communication skills
- Commitment to the principles of volunteer cooperation and familiarity with participatory approaches to development, including the promotion of gender equality, good governance and environmental sustainability
- Good understanding and knowledge of socio cultural norms in Northern Ghana and ability to speak at least one widely spoken language in Ghana.
How to apply
Please submit via email your resume/CV and a motivation letter to [email protected]
Please note the following:
The subject line of your email should read “Gender Specialist/Advisor.”
The file name for your resume should read: “(last name)(first name)* Resume**
The file name for your cover letter should read: “(last name) (first name) Cover Letter
(Your letter should state why you wish to be considered for the role and how you meet relevant skills)
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants invited to an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Application deadline is May,1st 2021.